Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Extra libraries, Code snippets, applications etc. » U++ users applications in progress and useful code snippets, including reference examples! » How to use callbacks with "embedded" controls...
How to use callbacks with "embedded" controls... [message #2523] Sun, 16 April 2006 18:54 Go to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
Quote:

Waiting for your next task
Aris

Here I am, Smile
I think I need other few things to understand before I can proceede alone (well... almost alone). One is the following (perhaps the title of the thread is not correct).

We have a marvellous threestate OptionImage of which all the world is envious. I've attached to it a callback (it costed me one hour of useless temptives before to found the exact syntax... from other side very obvious at the end)
void Avail3(One<Ctrl>& ctrl)
{    ctrl.Create<OptionImage>().ThreeState().SetImage(imgYes(), imgNo(), imgMaybe()).WhenAction=callback(Avail3Action);  	
}

where the callback is
void Avail3Action()
{	int int_row;
	String s ;
	PromptOK("ImageButton action");	
}

What I desire is that this callback can recognize the state of the ImageButton that has activated it. So that it can prompt the state of the pressed ImageButton to inform the user about what he did (it is a very delicate operation).
Unfortunately this callback is not a method of the class so it has no access to the ArrayCtrl. Otherwise I could easily look in the cell and retrieve the state of the pressed button.
I'm sure there is way to pass as argument of Avail3Action() just the pressed button. It should be already available in some form in Avail3() so that it can be passed even to Avail3Action. Unfortunately I'm lost with the syntax like One<Ctrl>& ctrl.
I've even tried to let be the previous callback two new methods of the class to have access to all the instances, but the compiler cried in corrispondence of the argument One<Ctrl>& ctrl passed to the metod Avail3().

Have you any hint?
Thank you,
Luigi

Edit: The title was changed...

[Updated on: Mon, 17 April 2006 02:23] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to use callbacks with "embedded" controls... [message #2535 is a reply to message #2523] Mon, 17 April 2006 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
First of all, don't create too long code "sausages", esp. in the wrong places... Laughing

Second, don't spend your hours in the wrong bushes by creating a bicycle. That means, always check if your parents have those wheels... Smile
I'm not very sure but I guess:

Step1.
void VegaMain::Init()
{
	info="Ready";

tab1.arr.WhenEnterRow = THISBACK(UpdateInfo);
	tab1.arr.WhenCtrlsAction = THISBACK(UpdateInfo);
}

Step2. in VegaStatus.cpp add this:
void VegaMain::UpdateInfo()
{
	info = "Wait..Counting...Busy...";
	int nTotal = tab1.arr.GetCount();
	int nAvail = tab1.GetAvail(); //might optimize later...
	info = NFormat("Ready: Total players: %d - Available: %d", nTotal, nAvail);
}

Step3
update VegaMain.h
	void UpdateInfo();

Step4
and also in the same VegaMain.h
class VegaTab1 : public WithVegaTab1Layout<TopWindow> {
public:
	void SortRecord(int column);
	void AddPlayer();
//	void ShowNumberRecord(); you don't need it here...
	int GetAvail();  //new!!!

Step5
in VegaTab1.cpp
int VegaTab1::GetAvail()
{
	int n=0;
	for(int i=0; i<arr.GetCount(); i++) {
		if ( arr.Get(i, "Avail") ) n=n+1;
	}
	return n;
}

Step5
remove your 1 hour wasted time and spoiled callback from Avail3
Step6
make "info" label in the layout at least double width.
Step7
Ctrl_F5.

You can apply this logic with Prompts if you like... Smile
Step8
Report any success or failure...

[Updated on: Mon, 17 April 2006 03:19]

Re: How to use callbacks with "embedded" controls... [message #2541 is a reply to message #2535] Mon, 17 April 2006 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
fudadmin wrote on Mon, 17 April 2006 02:54

You can apply this logic with Prompts if you like... Smile
Step8

Every thing work very well! You have anticipated my wishes with the GetAvail method.
My mistake is that I continue to think in C style where all the functions are global and I can jump from one place to another.
Instead now I must put the callback in the right place. It is not immediate but I'll learn.

One more note. I've modified the GetAvail() method to show the status of all the Option image
{	int n=0;
	String s="value=" ;

if ( arr.Get(i, "Status") ) n=n+1;
		s += AsString( arr.Get(i, "Status") ) + " ";	
	}
	PromptOK( s );	
	return n;
}

I was surprised to observe that the state "Maybe" return no value! I mean, 'V'='true' return 1, 'X'='false' return 0, but
'?'=maybe seemd return nothing? In fact I can't see its value. Is it normal? Maybe it is 'null'. I believed to obtain some thing like 2 or -1.
Luigi
Re: How to use callbacks with "embedded" controls... [message #2542 is a reply to message #2541] Mon, 17 April 2006 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
If something is empty, it means it's empty! I do not question such things. Just accept as they are Smile.
P.S in fact, I think, you can study nuller classes etc. if you wish...
Re: How to use callbacks with "embedded" controls... [message #2543 is a reply to message #2542] Mon, 17 April 2006 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
fudadmin wrote on Mon, 17 April 2006 10:03

If something is empty, it means it's empty! I do not question such things. Just accept as they are Smile.
P.S in fact, I think, you can study nuller classes etc. if you wish...

Yesterday I've upgraded the U++ and only now I've seen that the documentation is increased. In particular about three state I have just read
Quote:

Widget providing the selection of 2 or alternatively 3 states (true, false, Null). Value of Option is either 0, 1, or Null. When setting Value to Option, string "1" is interpreted as true state, other non-Null strings as false.

I accept it without complain. Smile
Re: How to use callbacks with "embedded" controls... [message #2544 is a reply to message #2541] Mon, 17 April 2006 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
forlano wrote on Mon, 17 April 2006 08:33

My mistake is that I continue to think in C style where all the functions are global and I can jump from one place to another.
Instead now I must put the callback in the right place. It is not immediate but I'll learn.

Luigi

I noticed one your mistake that you tend to think and want to install callbacks (and access methods) from down up or from inside out. It should be opposite way, IMHO. I mean, you should imagine your classes (or instances) like russian matrioshka doll, if you know such term.
And in most cases you should start your access analysis from the biggest doll then going inside to the smallest ones (members or children). This way you find then right place for your callback assignment.
In paralel you can think about your callback function body (not its place!), and make it even before you install a callback and test it with one more temporary function.

This is my method of programming. Others might offer different approaches.

If that helps...
Re: How to use callbacks with "embedded" controls... [message #2545 is a reply to message #2535] Mon, 17 April 2006 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
fudadmin wrote on Mon, 17 April 2006 02:54

I'm very sorry to remain again on the same argument, but I'm obeserving a strange behaviour and before to say it is a bug it is better to verify.
It regards the OptionImage inside the array. When I click in each cell of the array except the OptionImage the cursor of the array move on the clicked row. This is OK because I can read the selected row and retrieve its data. Instead when I click on the OptionImage the cursor doesn't change Shocked and remains where it was. This is not good because my code cannot intercept the clicked row and in turn the clicked optionimage button.
Is it normal? It seems that the button has overrided the property of that column as it where not in an array.
Is there an alternative way to listen the optionimage button? (if not let's neglect it).
This is the code that prompt the status of the clicked button.

{	int n;
	String s, player, s1;

//	n = arr.GetCursor(); // doesn't change, so I try the next line
	n = arr.GetClickRow(); // nothing
    // arr.SetCursor( n); 

s=AsString( arr.Get(n, "Avail") );	

player = arr.Get(n, "Name");
    if (s=="1") PromptOK("You have made available player " + player);	
    else if (s=="0") PromptOK("You have made NOT available player " + player);	
    else PromptOK("You have assigned a BYE to player " + player);	

n = 0;
		//s1 += AsString( arr.Get(i, "Avail") ) + " ";	
	}
    //	PromptOK( s1 );	
	return n;
}
Re: How to use callbacks with "embedded" controls... [message #2546 is a reply to message #2545] Mon, 17 April 2006 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
I think extra controls should be made
1. "transparent" for the events or
2. we need to synchronize them.
Need to think and/or to study.
Re: How to use callbacks with "embedded" controls... [message #2547 is a reply to message #2546] Mon, 17 April 2006 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Don't worry too much about that now. Think next problems. The solution will come...
Re: How to use callbacks with "embedded" controls... [message #2613 is a reply to message #2545] Wed, 19 April 2006 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Ok, I think, this should help:

Step1. in OptionImage.cpp
#include "OptionImage.h"

//added new method...
void OptionImage::ReFocus(){
	SetFocus();
}

OptionImage::OptionImage()
{
	WhenAction = THISBACK(ReFocus); //added...
}

Step2. in OptionImage.h
class OptionImage : public Option {
	void ReFocus(); //added -let's make it private...
protected:
	Image imgYes, imgNo, imgMaybe;
public:

Step3. in VegaTab1.cpp
{

int n=0;
	}

//try this here. Later we'll rearrange...
	arr.ChildGotFocus();   //lets move the focus after calculations...
	//do you tests below...

return n;
}

Cool

[Updated on: Wed, 19 April 2006 06:26]

Re: How to use callbacks with "embedded" controls... [message #2623 is a reply to message #2613] Wed, 19 April 2006 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
fudadmin wrote on Wed, 19 April 2006 06:26

Ok, I think, this should help:
[snip]

Thanks a lot Aris,

I'll try it this afternoon. Yesterday I started to read the first 6 chapters of the C++ Eckel's book. Then I've understood what you meant regarding the #include and extern (declaration and definition). Now I can see the nightmare I produced in my first version of the application.

Luigi
Re: How to use callbacks with "embedded" controls... [message #2636 is a reply to message #2613] Wed, 19 April 2006 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
fudadmin wrote on Wed, 19 April 2006 06:26

Ok, I think, this should help: [snip]

Aris,

I tried the code and it works nicely, but... there is a little drawback.
If you remind I wanted to intercept the clicked embedded OptionImage to get its status and prompt the user with a message (and write in the infoctrl too). Now I can do it because, thanks to you, the focus go on the row in which the button is. This is the code that shows its status:
{	int n = 0;
	String s, player, s1;

}
	//try this here. Later we'll rearrange...
	arr.ChildGotFocus();   //lets move the focus after calculations...
	//do you tests below...

n = arr.GetCursor();
	s=AsString( arr.Get(n, "Avail") );		
    	PromptOK( s );	
	return n;
}

Now, when I click the optionimage, the PromptOK( s ) appear TWO times, instead of one, and it is annoying. This is due both do the click and the refocus connected connected to WhenCtrlsAction :
void VegaMain::Init()
{	info1="Ready";
	tab1.arr.WhenEnterRow = THISBACK(UpdateInfo);
	tab1.arr.WhenCtrlsAction = THISBACK(UpdateInfo);
}

that call GetAvail:
void VegaMain::UpdateInfo()
{	int int_row, nTotal, nAvail;

nTotal = tab1.arr.GetCount();
	nAvail = tab1.GetAvail();
	info1 = NFormat("Total players: %d - Available: %d", nTotal, nAvail);
} 

I've noticed that if you comment
// tab1.arr.WhenCtrlsAction = THISBACK(UpdateInfo);
then the consecutive click on the option image will not produce a PromptOK dialog.
So now I'm a bit confused on the place where I have to put the hands to correct this behaviour.
I hope to have been clear.
Luigi
Re: How to use callbacks with "embedded" controls... [message #2637 is a reply to message #2636] Wed, 19 April 2006 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Quote:

I've noticed that if you comment
// tab1.arr.WhenCtrlsAction = THISBACK(UpdateInfo);
then the consecutive click on the option image will not produce a PromptOK dialog.
So now I'm a bit confused on the place where I have to put the hands to correct this behaviour.
I hope to have been clear.
Luigi

Yes, that's why I commented "//try this here. Later we'll rearrange..."

1. You need to think about the sequence:
1.1. arr.WhenCtrlsAction=THISBACK(CursorOnFocus?);
1.2. with inside arr.ChildGotFocus();
then
1.3. warn (Prompt) user with the possibility to cancel or confirm the change or only to display warning in status.

2. and only then let update and invoke maybe some other arr.When???... update info

Try or leave it to me... Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 19 April 2006 17:25]

Re: How to use callbacks with "embedded" controls... [message #2638 is a reply to message #2637] Wed, 19 April 2006 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
I would also think about keeping track in a separate DB table of Available- not available Periods and who made and for what reason... Hm?
Re: How to use callbacks with "embedded" controls... [message #2645 is a reply to message #2637] Wed, 19 April 2006 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
fudadmin wrote on Wed, 19 April 2006 17:25

Try or leave it to me... Smile

I've tried but without success. Perhaps I must read some more chapters about C++. At this moment I do not catch the logic behind the GUI class and how they react at some action. Confused
In particular this optionimage that was not automatically followed by the focus and need so much attention is making me crazy!

When I click on it I want a simply warning ("The status changed!") and nothing else (no confimation) and the avail players should be calculated once more. Very simple, but this embedded control seems the evil inside the array. In the original C version it was out of the array... if it will continue to create problems I'll kill it Evil or Very Mad and move in the edit mask; at its place I'll use a stupid colored label... yes I promise I'll do it! Laughing
Quote:

I would also think about keeping track in a separate DB table of Available- not available Periods and who made and for what reason... Hm?

I've not understood what you mean. Any way, later, the pressure of the SaveMenu item, should produce two parallel things:
1. save on a file all the array data, and
2. transfer all the array data in a minimalist database structure that will support the output of the elaboration.

I was forgetting, equivalent to the SaveMenu are the actions performed by the Modify button and by the ... optionimage button, yes again it! Each modification I want be permanent.

What do you think? I'll move the optionimage button or we give it the last possibility? Smile
Re: How to use callbacks with "embedded" controls... [message #2649 is a reply to message #2645] Thu, 20 April 2006 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Contributor
forlano wrote on Wed, 19 April 2006 21:36

What do you think? I'll move the optionimage button or we give it the last possibility? Smile

This night I wanted to see how looks the application without the embedded ctrl in the array. It is attached. Now in this version everything works very nice and the label info is updated regularly just with the previous code.
Only one annoying problem: my bitmap are 19x19 pixel and are not painted in good manner.
... and a little problem: from the array now is not well visible the status of each player. So I think to write in red (imgNo), blank(imgYes) and blue (imgMaybe) the symbol status of each player.
Any comments?

Luigi
  • Attachment: Vega2.rar
    (Size: 18.89KB, Downloaded 1740 times)
Re: How to use callbacks with "embedded" controls... [message #2652 is a reply to message #2649] Thu, 20 April 2006 05:02 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Yes, you can read a few more chapters. Also, it's useful writing some notes when you find anything new. One more tip - read everything with an approach that later you will need to explain or teach someone else efficiently. If you have enthusiasm you could write one more chapter of Ultimate's tutorial.

P.S. I'll write more and present you with once more "refurbished" Vega very soon... Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 20 April 2006 05:03]

Previous Topic: How to create a non modal dialog
Next Topic: ForlanoVega ArrayCtrl console app...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:34:56 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01550 seconds