Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » PR, media coverage, articles and documentation » U++ connection with other tools...
U++ connection with other tools... [message #185] Wed, 30 November 2005 09:56 Go to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Just to remind you:

Quote:

6. People that would help us to provide better and other releases. TheIDE integrated development environment is a good tool even without its connection with Ultimate++. That is why we would like to see development platform releases that would connect it with other tools, like SDL (for games development) etc...

Any enthusiasts?
Re: U++ connection with other tools... [message #4199 is a reply to message #185] Fri, 28 July 2006 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ptomaine is currently offline  Ptomaine
Promising Member
LibXML2 (http://www.xmlsoft.org) is a tool that UPP must have if we want the full XML support in projects.
Re: U++ connection with other tools... [message #4202 is a reply to message #4199] Fri, 28 July 2006 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Ptomaine wrote on Fri, 28 July 2006 18:29

LibXML2 (http://www.xmlsoft.org) is a tool that UPP must have if we want the full XML support in projects.

How is it better than U++ XML, or Expat?
How are you going to contribute regarding LibXML2?

(Btw, I've implemented SVG viewer (to be posted soon...) with u++ and agg without Expat)
Re: U++ connection with other tools... [message #4206 is a reply to message #4202] Fri, 28 July 2006 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member

Quote:

(Btw, I've implemented SVG viewer (to be posted soon...) with u++ and agg without Expat)

Wow!

Mirek
Re: U++ connection with other tools... [message #4210 is a reply to message #4206] Fri, 28 July 2006 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Cool! SVG and AGG! WOW!
Anyway, libxml2 is the tool to think about. I want to use XPath and XLink while handling XML data. Libxml2 supports much more then that. A good xmllib2 wrapper in C++ will be a great tool for developers, I think.
Re: U++ connection with other tools... [message #4211 is a reply to message #4206] Fri, 28 July 2006 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
luzr wrote on Fri, 28 July 2006 19:21

Quote:

Wow!

Mirek

Thanks.
Nothing special... Just couldn't stand slowliness and crashing of Incscape any more when trying to make some u++ tutorials... Smile. SVG editor with animations in u++ would be better, I think... Just a question of time.
Re: U++ connection with other tools... [message #4212 is a reply to message #4210] Fri, 28 July 2006 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
Ptomaine wrote on Fri, 28 July 2006 19:27

Anyway, libxml2 is the tool to think about. I want to use XPath and XLink while handling XML data. Libxml2 supports much more then that. A good xmllib2 wrapper in C++ will be a great tool for developers, I think.

What'is Mirek's opinion about xmllib2?
Re: U++ connection with other tools... [message #4213 is a reply to message #4212] Fri, 28 July 2006 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rbmatt is currently offline  rbmatt

I've yet to figure out the built-in xml parser, there is no documentation that I can find. At least an external library would come with some docs Wink
Re: U++ connection with other tools... [message #4214 is a reply to message #4213] Fri, 28 July 2006 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
rbmatt wrote on Fri, 28 July 2006 20:00

I've yet to figure out the built-in xml parser, there is no documentation that I can find. At least an external library would come with some docs Wink

In the beginning I was thinking the same: "Oh, no docs - big problem!..."

But now, I prefer a software with source code and forums where your questions are answered almost instantly (thanks Mirek!) than a software without sources or any forums or nearly dead forums.

My advice ( for all beginners and not only) study the sources first (not the RTFM Smile ). At least the names of packages and the names of files.
Then *.h files for interfaces. You will discover a several mountains of things in U++...

And do not hesitate to ask questions here. As a Chinese proverb says: "He who asks is a fool for a minute. The others are fools for life..." (Or something like that... Smile )
Re: U++ connection with other tools... [message #4215 is a reply to message #4214] Fri, 28 July 2006 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

fudadmin wrote on Fri, 28 July 2006 15:24

My advice ( for all beginners and not only) study the sources first (not the RTFM Smile ). At least the names of packages and the names of files.
Then *.h files for interfaces. You will discover a several mountains of things in U++...

I do learn lots from the source, but often I find one function references 5 others that I have no clue how they work. Those, in turn reference others. I've just yet to get that "base knowledge" of U++ that will help me out here.
And yes, thank you Mirek!
Re: U++ connection with other tools... [message #4221 is a reply to message #4213] Sat, 29 July 2006 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
rbmatt wrote on Fri, 28 July 2006 15:00

See reference/xml and /xmlize. Really nothing complicated Smile

Mirek
Re: U++ connection with other tools... [message #4224 is a reply to message #4221] Sat, 29 July 2006 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

luzr wrote on Fri, 28 July 2006 18:22

See reference/xml and /xmlize. Really nothing complicated Smile

I figured it out- the problem was calling PassEnd() when there was no end to pass (or it had already been passed). And my code wasn't in a try{} so it would crash.
Re: U++ connection with other tools... [message #4286 is a reply to message #185] Mon, 31 July 2006 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
Hello Mirek.

Please, take a careful look at the LibXml2 (http://www.xmlsoft.org) library to wrap it into C++ classes. Carefully read the main page that describes what libxml2 supports. Many developers consider libxml2 as powerful as Microsoft XML (especially its streaming API). XPath, XInclude, XSLT and schemas support is the functionality that the real XML system must support and that is the functionality that makes sense to use XML itself. The power of XML is not that of storing one more structured text file. We have a lot of structured formats and we can invent even more. The power of XML is that it is the standard and a complicated structured data can be easily retrieved with some rules (XPath), verified to rely on (Schemas, DTD), combined from several xml files (XInclude), transformed (XSLT) and so on. The XML is not just one more text file as many people used to think about and it is not just a configuration file (it resembles shooting the fly from a bazooka Smile. It is more more useful. The Expat library can not be treated as a powerful xml system because it does not have that power of libxml2. The Expat library is just a parser but libxml2 is much more then just a parser - it's the XML system.

LibXml2 has its own libxml2++ wrapper classes but they tightly depend on GNOME glib because of UTF8 support. It's worth to write the own C++ wrapper classes, I think.

BTW, libxml2 considers libiconv (to convert charsets into its own inner UTF8 format). Anyway, without libiconv libxml2 can work with only UTF8 and some latin charsets xml files. Mirek, you can include libiconv into the project (its just 4 files to compile) and write one C++ wrapper class to handle conversions.

Mirek, if you do not mind, I have my code to wrap libxml2 basic functionality and to wrap libiconv conversion function. I can email you that code to analize and maybe it'll be useful for you to take a decision. What do you say?
Re: U++ connection with other tools... [message #4287 is a reply to message #4286] Mon, 31 July 2006 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Ptomaine wrote on Mon, 31 July 2006 08:52

Hello Mirek.

Please, take a careful look at the LibXml2 (http://www.xmlsoft.org) library to wrap it into C++ classes. Carefully read the main page that describes what libxml2 supports. Many developers consider libxml2 as powerful as Microsoft XML (especially its streaming API). XPath, XInclude, XSLT and schemas support is the functionality that the real XML system must support and that is the functionality that makes sense to use XML itself. The power of XML is not that of storing one more structured text file. We have a lot of structured formats and we can invent even more. The power of XML is that it is the standard and a complicated structured data can be easily retrieved with some rules (XPath), verified to rely on (Schemas, DTD), combined from several xml files (XInclude), transformed (XSLT) and so on. The XML is not just one more text file as many people used to think about and it is not just a configuration file (it resembles shooting the fly from a bazooka Smile. It is more more useful. The Expat library can not be treated as a powerful xml system because it does not have that power of libxml2. The Expat library is just a parser but libxml2 is much more then just a parser - it's the XML system.

LibXml2 has its own libxml2++ wrapper classes but they tightly depend on GNOME glib because of UTF8 support. It's worth to write the own C++ wrapper classes, I think.

BTW, libxml2 considers libiconv (to convert charsets into its own inner UTF8 format). Anyway, without libiconv libxml2 can work with only UTF8 and some latin charsets xml files. Mirek, you can include libiconv into the project (its just 4 files to compile) and write one C++ wrapper class to handle conversions.

Mirek, if you do not mind, I have my code to wrap libxml2 basic functionality and to wrap libiconv conversion function. I can email you that code to analize and maybe it'll be useful for you to take a decision. What do you say?

I will try to put it plain. I have no problems with using tools like libxml2. However, right at this very moment, we cannot afford investing time to properly integrating something as complex as libxml2 is. (I would be happy if we are able to develop everything that is planned for winter release of U++).

OTOH, I see no problem in adapting libxml2 as plugin library and even distributing it with U++ (well, but somebody should tell me whether MIT license is BSD-like).

But, there is Charset.h in Core. Please try to tell me what if that is what libiconv does...

Mirek
Re: U++ connection with other tools... [message #4288 is a reply to message #4287] Mon, 31 July 2006 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member
luzr wrote on Mon, 31 July 2006 09:05

But, there is Charset.h in Core. Please try to tell me what if that is what libiconv does...

Mirek

Please try to tell me will your Charset.h work with libxml2 or how libxml2 will use your charset classes?
Re: U++ connection with other tools... [message #4320 is a reply to message #4288] Tue, 01 August 2006 09:39 Go to previous message
Ultimate Member
OK, I have just checked Smile

http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/documentation/libiconv/ iconv.3.html

Similar function in U++ is:

String ToCharset(byte charset, const String& s, byte scharset = CHARSET_DEFAULT, int defchar = DEFAULTCHAR);

Of course, that does not say anything about libxml2 integration, but perhaps it does not have any sense to introduce libiconv alone (without libxml2).

Mirek
Previous Topic: Materials for articles: "U++ Core comparison to BOOST"
Next Topic: What about NTL could be added to wikipedia's STL?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:34:59 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01364 seconds