FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Documentation » Documentation of Documentation
Documentation of Documentation [message #32810] Sun, 12 June 2011 14:29 Go to next message
kiri is currently offline  kiri
Hello.

I am interested in learning TheIDE and improving the documentation as I learn.

I am not finding all the documentation I need to do that. If what is needed to work on the documentation becomes better described, I would still be interested in making improvements. You could describe my difficulty now as difficulty with 'bootstrapping'. A path in the documentation which leads the reader to know what they need to know to work on the documentation would help.

Some necessary topics are repositories, T++, and building the documentation. There is some documentation already, but it is not completely adequate.

Best wishes.
Re: Documentation of Documentation [message #32812 is a reply to message #32810] Sun, 12 June 2011 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi kiri

Welcome to the forum Cool

Documentation of documentation is a nice recursive problem... I'll try to sum up how the documentation works, and how it can be modified.

First some technical background: All the docs are written in Topic++, or tpp, which is U++ specific format. Each part of documentation consist of a directory, e.g. (uppsrc/Core/srcdoc.tpp/) which contains one *.tpp file for every topic. Usually there is two such directories per package, one for general documentation usually called "implementation topics" and one for the code description (classes, functions, ...) called "reference topics". All *.tpp files are written in QTF, which is U++ specific rich formatted text format. In case you wonder about the documentation available on this web site, it is the very same text as is stored in the packages, transformed to html and updated every night.

Now the interesting part comes. To edit U++ documentation, you don't actually need to know anything from the previous paragraph Wink Theide has inbuilt editor that lets you create and manage topics as well as write the actual docs. Look for the {src,srcdoc,srcimp}.tpp entries in package files lists. If you click on them (as if opening files) an editor will show up. On its left side is a list of existing topics, right click here to add/delete/manage topics etc. At the top are several bars with formatting tools and also few handy documentation tools (e.g. code references). The actual process of writing the docs is very similar to writing anything in common rich text editor. You can add hyperlinks to any other documentation topic as well as to the internet. You can also add code reference, which associates given paragraph with a piece of code which can then be accessed from the documentation (via the red "C" icon or Alt+I) and also the other way around, from code you can access the docs (via the little green square an the left gutter at code editor).

You should also know, that if you are willing to help us by writing any kind of documentation, it is very appreciated. Even if you don't feel comfortable with our standard tools, there is many kind people on this forum which can take your notes in almost any format and convert it.

To get the code back to U++, to be available to anyone, it must be committed to the svn. Since you don't have access to the production svn repository, you can just post anything you write here in the forum, as an attachment (preferably zipped archive of the changed *.tpp files).

If you have some further questions or if I'm not clear enough, feel free to ask more Wink

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Documentation of Documentation [message #34572 is a reply to message #32810] Wed, 30 November 2011 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jibe is currently offline  jibe
Experienced Member
Hi,

Very good explanation ! Thanks, Honza Smile

Could you make a web page in the doc with that ? So, it will be easier to find and encourage people to document their code this way Wink

Just missing in your explanation something about translations. In fact, it's easy and intuitive using the special editor in TheIde, but if people don't know that first, they could not try : I spent time googling about translations in .tpp files before I try and see that it's so easy Laughing It's a luck that I didn't get discouraged and abandon, and I'm afraid that it's what happens to some people...

=> if you want help about documentation and translations, just give us a better documentation about documentation Wink
Re: Documentation of Documentation [message #34597 is a reply to message #34572] Thu, 01 December 2011 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Well, I guess I should update the docs. With the info above and probably something more... I created a task in redmine and expect to do it in couple of days.

Honza
Re: Documentation of Documentation [message #34629 is a reply to message #32810] Fri, 02 December 2011 14:52 Go to previous message
jibe is currently offline  jibe
Experienced Member
Hi Honza,

I just sent to koldo a .tpp file for a control from me he put in Control4U. I'ts easy to do, and I must say that it's thank to your explanation above that I tried to do it !

Yes, it can be better if you add something about translation "and probably something more" as you say Wink

Anyway, it's easy and intuitive : the most important is to know that it's possible and not difficult, so that people think to do it.
Previous Topic: Problem with uppweb$examples$en-us
Next Topic: proposal for translation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:40:18 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00909 seconds