Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Installation, Compiling and Running of theide » SOLVED: Problem running in vnc / xen / debian squeeze
SOLVED: Problem running in vnc / xen / debian squeeze [message #33829] Sat, 17 September 2011 01:23 Go to next message
ed45626 is currently offline  ed45626
I installed the Ubuntu Maverick packages in Debian Squeeze for a standard workstation and everything works correctly (running gdm3).

Same install on a headless virtual box under Xen -- plenty of memory and disk space.

Symptoms are:
- splash screen shows no graphics
- buttons don't appear, but text is there and they sort of work
- cpu utilization spikes to 100% and it locks, kill stops it
- running the nogtk version I was able to get as far as the assist++ dialog box before full lockup.

I have tried the deb packages for Ubuntu (worked on other machine), compiling latest stable and compiling lastest nightly build -- all have the same result.

It's not a workstation problem -- compile is clean, dependencies met. Openoffice and Mozilla both run flawlessly.

I've tried starting vncserver as both root and another standard user.

Any ideas? Attached is a screen shot after it crunched -- the only error displayed is 'Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display ":1.0".'

Any error logging?

Thanks!

index.php?t=getfile&id=3443&private=0

[Updated on: Mon, 19 September 2011 02:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Problem running in vnc / xen / debian squeeze [message #33835 is a reply to message #33829] Sat, 17 September 2011 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
ed45626 wrote on Fri, 16 September 2011 19:23

I installed the Ubuntu Maverick packages in Debian Squeeze for a standard workstation and everything works correctly (running gdm3).

Same install on a headless virtual box under Xen -- plenty of memory and disk space.

Symptoms are:
- splash screen shows no graphics
- buttons don't appear, but text is there and they sort of work
- cpu utilization spikes to 100% and it locks, kill stops it
- running the nogtk version I was able to get as far as the assist++ dialog box before full lockup.

I have tried the deb packages for Ubuntu (worked on other machine), compiling latest stable and compiling lastest nightly build -- all have the same result.

It's not a workstation problem -- compile is clean, dependencies met. Openoffice and Mozilla both run flawlessly.

I've tried starting vncserver as both root and another standard user.

Any ideas? Attached is a screen shot after it crunched -- the only error displayed is 'Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display ":1.0".'

Any error logging?

Thanks!

index.php?t=getfile&id=3443&private=0

It looks like something is broken with displaying Images (raster bitmaps). These depend on XRENDER extension (as they are with alpha channel).
SOLVED: Re: Problem running in vnc / xen / debian squeeze [message #33847 is a reply to message #33829] Mon, 19 September 2011 02:59 Go to previous message
ed45626 is currently offline  ed45626
Thanks for the response -- this pushed me in the correct direction.

For any who run into this problem, most vnc server don't support the render extension. This is a problem in Xen since there is no video card and I can't connect to a running X server.

Real VNC4 Enterprise is supposed to support render, tightvnc does not and the vnc4 server in debian does not.

After a lot of searching, I found a vnc server that does -- TigerVNC which was built off the tight vnc server. They do have packages built for Debian Squeeze and upon installing and starting with the command 'vncserver' all was good.

I also noted that the mouse cursors now look correct.
Previous Topic: Invalid memory access in Ubuntu Natty
Next Topic: Installing upp in fedora 15
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:43:27 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01751 seconds