Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » What are your development phases?
What are your development phases? [message #34485] Fri, 25 November 2011 12:35 Go to next message
lectus is currently offline  lectus
Hi guys!
Quick question for you experienced C++/U++ developers.
What are the steps you usually use for developing your software? Do you have design phases? Do you develop class diagrams with UML? What UML tools do you use?

Thanks!
Re: What are your development phases? [message #34487 is a reply to message #34485] Fri, 25 November 2011 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
lectus wrote on Fri, 25 November 2011 06:35

Hi guys!
Quick question for you experienced C++/U++ developers.
What are the steps you usually use for developing your software?

1: Create main package and application skeleton.
2: Add a feature or a couple of features
3: Check with users
4: Goto 2

Quote:

Do you have design phases?

No. But in work, we have product managers that are supposed to create feature requests. We are doing scrum, so each 'run' (which is about 2 weeks now) we get/negotiate a list of features we are supposed to implement/test/deploy.

Quote:

Do you develop class diagrams with UML?

IMO, unless you have highly educated non-programmers around, UML does not make much sense.

It could be useful if product/project managers could understand UML. But then they could have been programmers, right? Smile

For programmers it makes little sense. But could be just my opinion.

That said, I do not believe much in 'design phase'. Each time somebody starts to 'paint boxes and arrows', I am getting depressed Wink IME those boxes rarely survive initial development and almost never deloyment... Smile
Re: What are your development phases? [message #34495 is a reply to message #34485] Fri, 25 November 2011 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
1) create main package + test package
2) write first test
3) compile + run
4) fix all failed tests
5) refactor
6) goto 2

In parallel I do draw boxes and arrows on paper to keep some vague idea what I tried to do at first and then changed it completely during implementation. Wink

[Updated on: Fri, 25 November 2011 19:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: What are your development phases? [message #34507 is a reply to message #34485] Sat, 26 November 2011 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

I'm kind of an anarchist in this Smile I don't have any stable workflow, I just do whatever I feel like at the moment. Most times I start with implementing the main feature, and then wrap the GUI around it later. But sometimes I do exact opposite - design GUI and then write features in it, one by one. It usually depends on what part of app I have clearer idea about Smile

In any case I test a lot. Not really test-based development, just trying manually if the code behaves as expected. Thanks to U++ build system I can afford to rebuild every couple lines Smile So in general I can sum it up as:

1. write minimal buildable code (plain Top window or single function call in CONSOLE_APP_MAIN)
2. build and see if it works
3. add/improve feature (just a couple lines)
4. go to 2

I don't paint lines&boxes... If I need to see the code organization, I use Doxygen afterwards Smile The design phase happens only in my head, on the go.

Honza
Re: What are your development phases? [message #34556 is a reply to message #34485] Tue, 29 November 2011 02:21 Go to previous message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
1) Software should exist.
2) Software should work.
3) Software should work well.

Smile

Regards,
Novo
Previous Topic: Facebook or Google+?
Next Topic: Oracle E-Business Suite 11i: mass upload employee photo
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:28:33 CET 2024