Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ Webs: Functioning, Layout , Design, Features and Structure of these forums, homepage etc. » [contribution] add language panel on ultimatepp.org to top
[contribution] add language panel on ultimatepp.org to top [message #34772] Mon, 12 December 2011 09:58 Go to next message
Wolfgang is currently offline  Wolfgang
Experienced Member
Hi there,

just a little contribution, I think it would be nice to have a language panel both, on bottom of the pages (as it is now)
Quote:

Last edit by koldo on 03/23/2010. This page is also in deutsch and русский. Do you want to contribute?. T++

and additional on the top of the page, maybe with small icons...
http://voglfrei.de/gfx/lang.png

I think this would be more comfortable and is just small effort to change it..
Re: [contribution] add language panel on ultimatepp.org to top [message #34781 is a reply to message #34772] Mon, 12 December 2011 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Wolfgang,

This was already discussed here:
andrei_natanael wrote on Tue, 16 February 2010 00:29

sergeynikitin wrote on Mon, 15 February 2010 23:35

Perhaps we put the notation language together with the flag?

Please, no flags! Smile
I know "a picture is worth a thousand words" but not in this case. Flags sometimes make sense for that country habitants but not for others. I would like to be able to know which is Russian translation without having to know it's flag. Languages abbreviations makes more sense than country flag, in fact we are talking about languages not countries so flags doesn't fit in language context. I don't see any correlation between language and flag.

Andrei
(See this thread for full context)

My personal opinion is that in ideal situation user should need to switch the language only once in lifetime - when he makes a bookmark to his language of choice - and use that for the rest of his days Smile Or even better, never. The language could be selected automatically, based on browser setting (minor cases of people visiting the site from computers with different language settings would be still solved by clicking on some switch). I hope this will be the case with new W++ based web soon in the future Smile Anyways, the current switch in the footer is functional and simple solution that fully fulfills the intended purpose.

Best regards,
Honza
Re: [contribution] add language panel on ultimatepp.org to top [message #34782 is a reply to message #34772] Mon, 12 December 2011 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
The flag was just an additional idea..., the main contribution was to have a language panel additional in TOP OF THE PAGE!

the fact (for me) is that i have a bookmark to the german version but everytime i visit the forum or view one of the en-us pages (because there is no de version) i get switched to the en-us version.
And because most of the pages are really long, i have to scoll down and down and down to click my language again... thats really annoying.

[Updated on: Mon, 12 December 2011 12:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [contribution] add language panel on ultimatepp.org to top [message #34786 is a reply to message #34782] Mon, 12 December 2011 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello Wolfgang

I understand. Perhaps a possible solution would be to put language abbreviations instead of the flags, maintaining the bottom languages reference.

In case of index page it would be:

EN-US, CA-ES, CS-CZ, DE-DE, ES-ES, FR-FR, RO-RO, RU-RU, ZH-CN, ZH-TW

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: [contribution] add language panel on ultimatepp.org to top [message #34787 is a reply to message #34772] Mon, 12 December 2011 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
That is what i meaned... not too much work and definitely an improvement.
Re: [contribution] add language panel on ultimatepp.org to top [message #34788 is a reply to message #34787] Mon, 12 December 2011 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Well, if you insist on having the selector on top, I would suggest implementing it as roll-out menu, so it doesn't take too much space...

Honza
Re: [contribution] add language panel on ultimatepp.org to top [message #34789 is a reply to message #34772] Mon, 12 December 2011 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
I don't insist, i suggest on having such a selector on top.

I would prefer your idea of detecting it by the browser settings or maybe by a cookie.

Even better would be that it doesn't change by itself but this needs an update of the t++ files (or system) because the language appendix of the hyperlinks in the .tpp files is hardcoded, would be better to generate it dynamically for all topic links.

Additionally it would be needful to make sure if someone opens the forum the language setting don't get lost.
Re: [contribution] add language panel on ultimatepp.org to top [message #34791 is a reply to message #34788] Mon, 12 December 2011 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
dolik.rce wrote on Mon, 12 December 2011 13:40

I would suggest implementing it as roll-out menu, so it doesn't take too much space...
Do you know how to do it?

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: [contribution] add language panel on ultimatepp.org to top [message #34796 is a reply to message #34791] Mon, 12 December 2011 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

koldo wrote on Mon, 12 December 2011 15:51

dolik.rce wrote on Mon, 12 December 2011 13:40

I would suggest implementing it as roll-out menu, so it doesn't take too much space...
Do you know how to do it?

Yes, I'll try to put it in the code Smile

Honza
Re: [contribution] add language panel on ultimatepp.org to top [message #34797 is a reply to message #34796] Mon, 12 December 2011 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senior Veteran
Good!

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: [contribution] add language panel on ultimatepp.org to top [message #34806 is a reply to message #34797] Tue, 13 December 2011 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

I just uploaded the changes. It should look like this:
index.php?t=getfile&id=3586&private=0
It would be great if you could compile and run the uppweb and check it in as many browsers as possible. I only tested it in chromium and w3m. The switcher requires JavaScript, if you have JS turned off, the box should be either invisible (for CSS aware browsers) or it will just contain the name of the current language (this will probably happen only in the text-based browsers, like w3m or lynx).

Let me know how it works and whether you like it Wink

Honza
  • Attachment: lang.png
    (Size: 21.06KB, Downloaded 562 times)
Re: [contribution] add language panel on ultimatepp.org to top [message #34807 is a reply to message #34806] Tue, 13 December 2011 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
hmm I dont know how to compile the uppweb package... is it possible on a windows machine?
Re: [contribution] add language panel on ultimatepp.org to top [message #34812 is a reply to message #34807] Tue, 13 December 2011 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Wolfgang wrote on Tue, 13 December 2011 13:15

hmm I dont know how to compile the uppweb package... is it possible on a windows machine?

Yes it is possible. But you have to have the sources - you can check them out from the public mirror, if you don't already have them:
svn.exe checkout http://upp-mirror.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ upp-mirror

Now you have everything necessary and you just have to tell theide where to look. To do this create a new assembly which will point to following nests:
C:\somepath\upp-mirror\uppbox;C:\somepath\upp-mirror\rainbow;C:\somepath\upp-mirror/uppsrc
If you're not sure how to create new assembly, have a look here (the pictures are quit outdated Sad but the general information is still valid).

Now you can open uppweb package in this assembly, compile it and run it. It will generate the pages somewhere on your disk (not sure about the default now) and generate uppweb.xml configuration file in your home directory where you can tweak the paths for future runs.

Honza
Re: [contribution] add language panel on ultimatepp.org to top [message #34814 is a reply to message #34772] Tue, 13 December 2011 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Hmmm got this message in a console:
Quote:

RootDir: u:\upp.src
TargetDir: u:\uppwww
Directory u`:`\upp`.src does not exist
<--- Finished in (0:00.28), exitcode: 0 --->

U: dont exists on my system...
but I've changed the u: to z:
#ifdef PLATFORM_WIN32 
String rootdir = "z:\\upp.src";
String uppbox =    rootdir + "uppbox";
String uppsrc =    rootdir + "uppsrc";
String reference = rootdir + "reference";
String examples =  rootdir + "examples";
String targetdir = "z:\\uppwww";
String diffdir   = "z:\\wwwupp";
String pdfdir    = "z:\\pdf";
#else

in www.cpp (z exists)

And in my default out folder is a folder "uppweb" with a lot of other folders in it.. but I cant believe that this is the website (or php files or whatever) at all.
Re: [contribution] add language panel on ultimatepp.org to top [message #34822 is a reply to message #34814] Tue, 13 December 2011 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Yes, the defaults are weird Smile I think there is historical reason since when it was running directly on the server, ages ago Smile

Have a look in the uppweb.xml file (should be in your home directory). The targetdir option specifies the output directory for web pages (a lot of html files and few pngs). You can also edit the paths in here and run the uppweb.exe again, it will read it and use the values.

Here is my uppweb.xml for reference:
uppweb.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<!DOCTYPE uppweb>
<uppweb>
<rootdir>/home/h/upp-production</rootdir>
<targetdir>/home/h/uppweb/target</targetdir>
<diffdir>/home/h/uppweb/diff</diffdir>
<pdfdir>/home/h/uppweb/pdf</pdfdir>
<ftpUpload value="0"/>
<outPdf value="0"/>
<doSvn value="0"/>
</uppweb>

So I can open 'file:///home/h/uppweb/target/index.html' in any browser and see the generated site. You just have to substitute the path.

Honza
Re: [contribution] add language panel on ultimatepp.org to top [message #34823 is a reply to message #34822] Tue, 13 December 2011 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
It fails... dont know why.
uppweb.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<!DOCTYPE uppweb>
<uppweb>
	<rootdir>z:\upp.src</rootdir>
	<targetdir>z:\uppwww</targetdir>
	<diffdir>z:\wwwupp</diffdir>
	<pdfdir>z:\pdf</pdfdir>
	<ftpUpload value="0"/>
	<outPdf value="0"/>
	<doSvn value="0"/>
</uppweb>

http://voglfrei.de/gfx/uppweb_failed.png
Re: [contribution] add language panel on ultimatepp.org to top [message #34826 is a reply to message #34823] Tue, 13 December 2011 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

I guess I forgot to emphasize that "rootdir" should point to the root of the sources (trunk) you checked from SVN. So that AppendFile(rootdir,"uppbox") would be the directory where uppweb package resides. Sorry for being imprecise... Rolling Eyes

Honza
Re: [contribution] add language panel on ultimatepp.org to top [message #34827 is a reply to message #34772] Tue, 13 December 2011 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
thank you, it works. I've just filled the paths without using my brain... sorry for _my_ incompetence.
Re: [contribution] add language panel on ultimatepp.org to top [message #34830 is a reply to message #34772] Tue, 13 December 2011 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
works fine and looks nice for me

Mozilla Firefox 8.0
http://voglfrei.de/gfx/upp_lang.png?final

With my Internet Explorer (I never use this ... app) theres no drop down list... I think its the Javascript... (but everyone using this browser should know how to go without features and security Very Happy)
Re: [contribution] add language panel on ultimatepp.org to top [message #34836 is a reply to message #34830] Wed, 14 December 2011 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ultimate Contributor

Thanks for testing Wolfgang! I guess I'll have to find some computer with IE and refresh my knowledge about the (un)supported javascript features in this broken browser Smile

BTW: The site generation doesn't work again :-/ The last update was at 2011/12/08 (so it is probably not my fault Smile ). I hope we will rewrite it to W++ soon, the thing is quite buggy lately...

Honza
Previous Topic: [translation][german] bazaar
Next Topic: [translation][german] bazaar_submission$de-de
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:25:52 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01321 seconds