Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » How do you develop in U++?
How do you develop in U++? [message #35227] Mon, 23 January 2012 23:34 Go to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello all

I wanted you to say here how do you develop using U++.

For example my favorite environment is MSC9 over XP as debugging works very well: I can read variable values and change breakpoints at runtime. To develop in Linux I usually use Ubuntu under VirtualBox. However lasts VirtualBox versions are terribly slow so I have returned to pure Ubuntu and probably Wubi and/or Portable Ubuntu (now it supports until 10.04) in PCs where I cannot install a Linux partition.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: How do you develop in U++? [message #35228 is a reply to message #35227] Tue, 24 January 2012 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I have had similiar problems with VirtualBox in windows. Now I am using vmware player, which is just as free (albeit not open-source) and runs smooth in Win7.

Right now I have too computers, one Desktop with ubuntu only, second, my "main", notebook with Win7 and vmware. Curiously, notebook is much more powerful than desktop Smile But sometimes I like to enjoy pure Linux environment with big keyboard.

[Updated on: Tue, 24 January 2012 08:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How do you develop in U++? [message #35232 is a reply to message #35227] Tue, 24 January 2012 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I use mostly WinXP and Kubuntu, GCC everywhere, sometimes MSC8 to verify code. I don't debug anymore (takes too much time Twisted Evil ). When I want just to check something in different environment, I use VirtualBox (then the speed is usually not an issue).
Re: How do you develop in U++? [message #35241 is a reply to message #35227] Wed, 25 January 2012 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Novo is currently offline  Novo
Ultimate Contributor
Desktop: Kubuntu 11.04 (going to update it to Lubuntu), AMD (because of the CodeAnalyst profiler, which is free and fast), no VMs. Still couldn't find a decent debugger, so, I do not debug either Smile

Laptop: Win7, old two-core Intel CPU. Actually, I got attracted to TheIde/Upp because it allows me to compile pretty big projects on this laptop (and watch TV at the same time). This was huge pain before. Debugger: VS 2008. No VMs (this laptop barely runs Windows itself). Will, probably, upgrade it if AMD releases new decent CPU Smile AMD has decent free tools, Intel's tools are not cheap and extremely slow (at least on Windows).

Regards,
Novo
Re: How do you develop in U++? [message #35242 is a reply to message #35227] Wed, 25 January 2012 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Two Arch Linux laptops, 64bit notebook for work, 32bit Intel Atom netbook for personal use. Funny thing is that I develop most things on the weaker Atom machine Smile For windows I use portable installation of U++ + MSC9 + MinGW, most of the time in wine, sometimes on my girlfriends notebook for some real testing. I'm quite happy with the gdb for debugging, but most things is easily resolved with well placed DUMP anyway Smile
Re: How do you develop in U++? [message #35243 is a reply to message #35242] Wed, 25 January 2012 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

Desktop: Windows 7 32b
Laptop: Windows7 64b and ArchLinux64 (on second partition)

On both configurations I use TheIde + Visual C++ 10.0 (sometimes gcc to check compilation issues).

I prefer desktop a lot more because of two monitors and comfortable desk and chair, but I use laptop recently. My younger daughter sleeps in the "desktop room" for now Smile
Re: How do you develop in U++? [message #35253 is a reply to message #35243] Wed, 25 January 2012 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Visual C++ 10? Why do I have 8?

Anyway I am having troubles with some precompiled DLLs with 9.

MY desktop fried recently so now I'm coding on an ASUS laptop with a i5 inside. Pretty good machine, but I miss my 22 inch screen.
Re: How do you develop in U++? [message #35254 is a reply to message #35227] Thu, 26 January 2012 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ratah is currently offline  ratah
Experienced Member
Desktop : Windows 7 64bits, sometimes XP 32bits
I use MingW32, no Visual C++.
Instead i prefer CodeBlock to do pure c++ projects.

All applications I developp with u++ are destinated for old desktop with processor Pentium II/III where are installed win NT/2000/2003 server. No major problems have been encountered expect with win NT.

I would like to one day test u++ project portability on linux or mac os.

Re: How do you develop in U++? [message #35256 is a reply to message #35254] Thu, 26 January 2012 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Hello all

I have compiled Examples/Clock. This are the required compiling time in my PC with XP:

- XP native:
-- MSC9: 1:25
-- MinGW: 1:35

- Ubuntu 11.10 virtualized
-- VirtualBox: 23:20
-- Vmware Player: 1:50

Vmware result is very good but VirtualBox is terrible. And this problem does not come from last version... so I will uninstall it.
Thank you Mirek for the advice Smile.

Best regards
Iñaki
Re: How do you develop in U++? [message #35260 is a reply to message #35256] Thu, 26 January 2012 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
Hi all,

I develop everything under fedora with gcc and debug with gdb (works perfectly) and also use valgrind to verify that everything works fine.

To compile Windows versions, I use wine with Upp under wine + MSC free edition (very easy to set up with wine-tricks).
I don't use mingw because the final apps need the mingw32 dll to run, ....

And for final testing under windows, I have some VMs under QEMU: windows works perfectly on my machine Q6600 (Quad core at 2.6GHz).

And when I wan't a real test, there still is my wife's Atom notebook
Re: How do you develop in U++? [message #35276 is a reply to message #35260] Sat, 28 January 2012 11:13 Go to previous message
BioBytes is currently offline  BioBytes
Hi all,

Last year, I moved from CodeBlocks+wxWidgets to U++ I had tried in 2008. I should say that U++ is a superb development tool and that community is very kind and helpful.

I develop my projects (mainly ISO management & biology fields) under Windows XP and 7 using MSC9 and GCC under Kubuntu (Maverick) using a laptop (I love to code in my bed Very Happy ).

Cheers

Biobytes
Previous Topic: What are common software used in programing and used by software developers?
Next Topic: How should we deal with SQL column names in conflict with SQL standard keywords
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 17:11:24 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03591 seconds