Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Widgets - General questions or Mixed problems » [Solved] EditField crashing at runtime uisng PortableUpp 4424
[Solved] EditField crashing at runtime uisng PortableUpp 4424 [message #35437] Tue, 14 February 2012 11:54 Go to next message
navi is currently offline  navi
Experienced Member
Hi All,

New here. Just wondering how to solve/debug/fix the following problem.

U++ Buit: PortableUPP built 4424 (http://sourceforge.net/projects/upp/files/upp_portable/)
IDE: theIDE
Compiler: the included MINGW compiler.
CPU: Intel Q9400 Core2 Quad

I was trying to try out the GUI Tutorials when i tried the examples with Edit Controls (EditField/String/Date) using the exact code from the tutorials and compiling with MINGW (Optimize for Size) the output exe file keep crashing on execution.

However when i tried compiling using the MINGW (Debug) the output exe files runs without crashing.

I'm guessing it must be some sort of compiling or linking issue. how can I approach this type of error? What debug technique/tools do i use to trace the issue?

Thanks in advance
John

[Updated on: Sat, 18 February 2012 03:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: EditField crushing at runtime uisng PortableUpp 4424 [message #35439 is a reply to message #35437] Tue, 14 February 2012 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
You mean crashing?

Did you try GCC - Optimal? The Size/Speed variants are using gcc optimization switches which are considered even more experimental than -O3 (which is maybe still "unstable"? I didn't read gcc docs recently, but for many years anything above -O1 or -O0 was described "should work, but use it at your own risk"), so with some gcc versions I have seen it to produce invalid binary with Size or Speed optimization. I also think there's some way to switch Size/Speed only for certain packages in TheIDE, so you may maybe try out which package exactly doesn't build correctly (but not much point in doing this, unless you are on some very new gcc version where it makes sense to report bug).

Check for exact gcc version, there's 4.6.1 on http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/ now. I'm at 4.5.1, so not sure if the most recent works with TheIDE, maybe somebody on forum did try it already. (Maybe I will soon too, I'm quite curious too Smile)
Re: EditField crashingat runtime uisng PortableUpp 4424 [message #35440 is a reply to message #35439] Wed, 15 February 2012 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
>You mean crashing?

Yes. sorry, typo.

>Did you try GCC - Optimal?

Yes. I tried all three (Optimal, Optimize for Speed, Optimize for Size)
All off the output exe crashes on execution. except for Debug which is 15MB in size.

>Check for exact gcc version.

How do i check that in theIDE? I checked the included MINGW folder. according to the readme it has both "GCC 4.5/4.6 Series". i have attached the readme with this post.

Re: [Solved] EditField crashing at runtime uisng PortableUpp 4424 [message #35452 is a reply to message #35437] Sat, 18 February 2012 03:35 Go to previous message
Experienced Member
Under "Main Package Configuration" > "Configuration flags" > "Use SSE2" was checked. unchecked the "Use SSE2" and Rebuild the project. It does not crash any more.

http://www.ultimatepp.org/forum/images/message_icons/icon10.gif
Previous Topic: Appearance problem with Docking framework
Next Topic: Problem compiling r4596
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 01:17:12 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03153 seconds