Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » FileSel&FileList, Path » How to determine the file type selected in a FileSel widget? [SOLVED]
How to determine the file type selected in a FileSel widget? [SOLVED] [message #2864] Fri, 28 April 2006 14:20 Go to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
Hello,

my application now needs to open a database (a text file with .txt or .csv extension) and process it according to its internal format that are two for each extension.
So I've 4 formats but only two extentions. This means that the only extension do not give me the possibility to remove the ambiguity.
For my purpose would be enough if I could simply get from the FilSel widget what type file the user selected. In fact I set:
fs.Type( "Files FIDE archive (text)", "*.txt")
  .Type( "Files VEG (csv)", "*.csv;")
  .Type( "Files FSI Italy (csv)", "*.csv")
  .Type( "Files fixed lenght (text)", "*.txt")      
  .DefaultExt("txt");

Is there a way to return the string (or the index) of the .Type() the user select? I couldn't find an appropriate method while it is easy to get the extension:
String  ext = ToLower( GetFileExt( filename ) ); // GetFileExt is in Core/Path.h

Thank you,
Luigi

[Updated on: Mon, 01 May 2006 13:18] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to determine the file type selected in a FileSel widget? [message #2950 is a reply to message #2864] Mon, 01 May 2006 11:23 Go to previous message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
forlano wrote on Fri, 28 April 2006 14:20

Hello,

my application now needs to open a database (a text file with .txt or .csv extension) and process it according to its internal format that are two for each extension.
So I've 4 formats but only two extentions. This means that the only extension do not give me the possibility to remove the ambiguity.
For my purpose would be enough if I could simply get from the FilSel widget what type file the user selected. In fact I set:
fs.Type( "Files FIDE archive (text)", "*.txt")
  .Type( "Files VEG (csv)", "*.csv;")
  .Type( "Files FSI Italy (csv)", "*.csv")
  .Type( "Files fixed lenght (text)", "*.txt")      
  .DefaultExt("txt");

Is there a way to return the string (or the index) of the .Type() the user select? I couldn't find an appropriate method while it is easy to get the extension:
String  ext = ToLower( GetFileExt( filename ) ); // GetFileExt is in Core/Path.h

Thank you,
Luigi

I got the answer! Now that I found the solution after many experiments and investigation I can say that was quite obvious!
The FilSel dialog stores the above typefile information in a drop list named 'type'. So the index can be got by:

typeindex = fs.type.GetIndex();

The other element of the pair that arrived in the drop list, i.e. the extension, can be got by
ext = AsString(~fs.type());

Luigi
Previous Topic: How to open a FileSelect widget and select a file?
Next Topic: Disable MkDir
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 20:38:23 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01301 seconds