Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » What do you do first when you start developing an application?
What do you do first when you start developing an application? [message #38396] Thu, 13 December 2012 21:13 Go to next message
lectus is currently offline  lectus
Some people recommend that we create the database first and then we create the application interface and logic to handle that.

What's your opinion?
Re: What do you do first when you start developing an application? [message #38400 is a reply to message #38396] Thu, 13 December 2012 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zsolt is currently offline  zsolt
Contributor
I write a textfile with requirements first.
Then I start implementation with one of the requirements.
I create a very small part of the database and code fulfilling only the selected requirement. I like creating unit tests first, but not always.
After the first requirement I continue with an other one and so on.

This is a natural way of software development, I think.
Nowadays this is called agile development Smile
Re: What do you do first when you start developing an application? [message #38408 is a reply to message #38396] Fri, 14 December 2012 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

I usually follow the same flow as zsolt, minus the writing to textfile (I'm very lazy Smile )

Also, I usually start without GUI (if possible), writing the main functionality as console app, testing it with some fixed values representing user inputs and only later binding the functions to GUI.

Honza
Re: What do you do first when you start developing an application? [message #38412 is a reply to message #38396] Fri, 14 December 2012 14:13 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
lectus wrote on Thu, 13 December 2012 15:13

Some people recommend that we create the database first and then we create the application interface and logic to handle that.

What's your opinion?

Well, if it is some client/server SQL stuff, I usually develop GUI and DB together.

Sometimes even going so far that I design dialog layout first, then copy dialog widget ids into .sch file and make a SQL table out of it.

Generally, I always liked to create simple skeleton app first, then continually add features, improving things in all parts.

I do not even care too much about requirements. Usually it is faster for me to create more iterations of code - usual problem being is that to interrogating users about requirements is time consuming process, but it is much easier to them to tell you what is wrong with the application (something they can see and try to use).
Previous Topic: Frustration when not using U++
Next Topic: Automatic generation of SCH-file from UML
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:59:35 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00861 seconds