Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Extra libraries, Code snippets, applications etc. » U++ users applications in progress and useful code snippets, including reference examples! » Create installer .deb or .rpm
Create installer .deb or .rpm [message #39233] Sat, 02 March 2013 22:32 Go to next message
fedePereyra is currently offline  fedePereyra
Hi everyone,

I'm new in Ultimate++ and I'm developing an application. I need create an installer for this applications for Ubuntu (.deb or .rpm). My question is how i can do this in Ultimate++?

Regards.
Re: Create installer .deb or .rpm [message #39234 is a reply to message #39233] Sun, 03 March 2013 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Federico,

fedePereyra wrote on Sat, 02 March 2013 22:32

I'm new in Ultimate++ and I'm developing an application. I need create an installer for this applications for Ubuntu (.deb or .rpm). My question is how i can do this in Ultimate++?

The fact that you are new to U++ is not a problem when it comes to packaging, much more important is what you know about how package managers work...

I understand you want to distribute your application on Ubuntu, so you should use deb (rpm can work there too, but deb is standard). Now, there is many ways how to create a deb package, I'd say at least 20, even if I don't count minor variations Smile Probably the best source to learn about debs is Debian Policy Manual. It describes mainly various files and processes that play some role in various stages of life of .deb package. It is quite long too and took me several iteration to comprehend most of it Smile

Another thing is that each type of application has some specific packaging properties. In general you should know well how linux filesystem is organized and where the files should be put. Also the intended audience may influence your decisions, e.g. whether you want to support multiple architectures and/or distribution versions or if you just want to make your life simpler when installing your application on couple PCs on local network.

If you tell me little more about what exactly you need, I can help. I think the easiest way should be adding a subpackage to your application that would hold all the additional files needed for packaging. The process itself can be simply scripted then and if you are interested in integrating it with TheIDE, it is possible to create a macro bound to keyboard shortcut that would launch the packaging script.

Thinking of it, it might even be possible to write such thing as a generic package, so any application could be packaged just by adding a package and few special files... I have to think about that, it might be quite helpful Smile

Meanwhile, you can have a look at the attached script. I used that to package sandbox/Watchdog/Server when I needed easy way to deploy it on a server. It contains setting specific to my environment, so I haven't committed it to svn, but it should still work. It is not perfect (actually it is ugly and dirty Smile ), but it might work for other packages as well, perhaps with little or no work. If you don't plan to use it on big scale, it should be enough, otherwise I can help you to put together some cleaner solution.

Best regards,
Honza

• Attachment: upp2deb.sh
    (Size: 2.14KB, Downloaded 328 times)
Re: Create installer .deb or .rpm [message #39235 is a reply to message #39234] Sun, 03 March 2013 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Jan Dolinár,

First of all thanks for your quick response!

I have developed a software with Ultimate++ and I need now is to make an installer for Ubuntu and Windows, but first I want to create the Ubuntu installer version, then I'll do it for Windows Laughing .The developed software is a database manager. This is used internally PostgreSQL, to create databases, edit, etc...

In short, my problem is to install the software that I have developed in Ubuntu and Windows computers.

Regards!

PS: Sorry for my writing, I'm not very advanced in English! haha Very Happy
Re: Create installer .deb or .rpm [message #39243 is a reply to message #39233] Sun, 03 March 2013 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Federico,

I started working on the packaging macro I talked about... It seems promising, but as I don't use Ubuntu nor Debian I had no chance to test it yet Smile I'll try to run it on an actual Debian tomorrow and than post here as soon as I fix up all the little details that probably come up. So please, just hang on one more day.

Honza
Re: Create installer .deb or .rpm [message #39246 is a reply to message #39243] Mon, 04 March 2013 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, I'll be waiting for your reply. The scripts helped me a lot! Smile

From already thank you very much for your help!

Regards.
Re: Create installer .deb or .rpm [message #39249 is a reply to message #39246] Mon, 04 March 2013 20:57 Go to previous message
Ultimate Contributor

Ok, here it is Smile

See included README file for instructions. The macros are a bit hacky, but it is the best I could do without extending TheIDE Smile

Let me know if it satisfies your needs. And of course let me know if there are any problems Wink

Also, anyone else working with debian based distros is encouraged to try it and let me know their opinion.

Bets regards,
Honza
  • Attachment: Deb.tar.gz
    (Size: 10.00KB, Downloaded 329 times)
Previous Topic: using HexView to view a file
Next Topic: Ñ++ low-level
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:55:18 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01912 seconds