Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » Unability to debug
Unability to debug [message #40597] Tue, 20 August 2013 12:26 Go to next message
Wlad is currently offline  Wlad
Promising Member

I did not use U++ aprox 1.5 years.
Now I tried to install several builds: stable version (5485) and last nightly builds...

My system was not changed. XP SP3.
But earlier they worked in debugging project very nice.
Now I obtain GPF just after starting in Debug Mode or IDE is trying to show something like grey pannel beneath to editor panel, shows register panel to the right of editor panel. ANd that's all. Process Dispetcher shows that gdb is working and wait something.

I have tried to setup several MinGWs (TDM-GCC-4.7.1-2, from Qt sdk, WxPack and gcc from wxWidgets installation) - the result remains the same.

Do anibody have the same sad picture?
And if yes then how to get well-working IDE?

[Updated on: Tue, 20 August 2013 12:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Unability to debug [message #40598 is a reply to message #40597] Tue, 20 August 2013 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Welcome back Wlad Cool

I'm not sure how it is on windows, but theide gained new gdb frontend some time ago. Can you check what is set as "GDB Debugger interface" in Setup > Environment > IDE? Try experimenting with both values, I believe the legacy should work in any case...

Best regards,
Honza
Re: Unability to debug [message #40599 is a reply to message #40598] Tue, 20 August 2013 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member

Quote:

Welcome back Wlad

TNX you! Smile

About "GDB Debugger interface":

I tried both of them with different minGWs.

"legacy" choice is "a little bit better"... It means I do not obtain GPF just after the F5 pressing (and neccesary preparing under the hood)

"new" gives "iron(y)" GPF at 100%!

I thought I would not meet Windows (as developer) again any more!!!!
But my new project/work requires it and I have already ripped out all the paoyt!!!!!! Sad Smile
Re: Unability to debug [message #40600 is a reply to message #40599] Tue, 20 August 2013 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hm, bad to hear that Sad

What about using MSVC? From what I heard, it has better debugger anyways... (I never used it myself)

Honza
Re: Unability to debug [message #40601 is a reply to message #40600] Tue, 20 August 2013 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
busiek is currently offline  busiek
Because thread about debugger was raised, I have to confirm that there are some problems.

For me debugging using new interface is not usable. For GUI application showing backtrace (from drop list) lasts few minutes which makes it unusable to walk up or down through backtrace. I have to switch to legacy, but it is not convenient. It also seems to work fast enough for console applications. My environment is Ubuntu 13.04 64bit and the newest U++ from svn.
Re: Unability to debug [message #40602 is a reply to message #40601] Tue, 20 August 2013 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unodgs is currently offline  unodgs
Ultimate Contributor

busiek wrote on Tue, 20 August 2013 11:20

Because thread about debugger was raised, I have to confirm that there are some problems.

For me debugging using new interface is not usable. For GUI application showing backtrace (from drop list) lasts few minutes which makes it unusable to walk up or down through backtrace. I have to switch to legacy, but it is not convenient. It also seems to work fast enough for console applications. My environment is Ubuntu 13.04 64bit and the newest U++ from svn.

I can only confirm that. New debugger is very nice but very slow and crashes in mt apps from time to time. The best option so far is a legacy mode with MSVC.
Re: Unability to debug [message #40603 is a reply to message #40602] Tue, 20 August 2013 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nlneilson is currently offline  nlneilson
Contributor
With MSVC on Win from my experience it depends on the version of MSVC and probably how it is setup.

As long as I can debug with MSVC 8, 9, 10 12 or 13 I have not worried about it. Usually with a bit of time tinkering it will debug OK with any version but don't see a reason for doing that.

It is usually my error in some way.
Re: Unability to debug [message #40604 is a reply to message #40603] Wed, 21 August 2013 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Promising Member

I do not use MSVC at all.
I like GCC's features and syntax. Plus I use GCC because of cross development. Of course you will agree it is better to work in the same environment and implementation of a language starting from low level microcontroller code and up to PC GUI application! Smile
Re: Unability to debug [message #40878 is a reply to message #40604] Sun, 29 September 2013 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shire is currently offline  Shire
I confirm that.
New debugger interface, GDB_MI2, fully unusable and buggy. On Linux and Windows.
Re: Unability to debug [message #41537 is a reply to message #40878] Thu, 26 December 2013 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I have just fixed significant bug in MI2 debugger, perhaps it will behave better now (also, it now better supports console).
Re: Unability to debug [message #41861 is a reply to message #41537] Fri, 31 January 2014 14:44 Go to previous message
Shire is currently offline  Shire
GDB_MI2 crashes when debugging by TheIDE built with MSC compiler.
(Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 16.00.40219.01 for 80x86, for me).

Debugger crashes at this harmless place:
uppsrc/ide/Builders/Gdb_MI2.cpp
MIValue Gdb_MI2::MICmd(const char *cmdLine)
{ // ...
	return ReadGdb();
}

Return by value operation destructs MIValue instance. Let's see at MIValue class:
uppsrc/ide/Builders/MIValue.h
MIValue &operator=(pick_ MIValue &v);
MIValue &operator=(String const &s);

MIValue(MIValue pick_ &v);
MIValue(String const &s);

operator String&() { return Get(); }
operator const String &() const { return Get(); }

After some debugging I found fundamental difference Smile
uppsrc/Core/Defs.h
#ifdef COMPILER_MSC
#define pick_
#else
#define pick_ const
#endif

Smart Microsoft compiler, when it can not find copy constructor of MIValue (because _pick is not const), copies instance via const String& conversion:
return MIValue((const String&)ReadGdb());

May be, this method was preferred by compiler because constantness of returning operator. Solution is make String& constuctor explicit and replace operator= with Set(String&) method. Patch is attached.

Such compiler behavior causes floating bugs. I mean this cause must be at "Pick behavior explained" article.
  • Attachment: gdb_fix.diff
    (Size: 1.91KB, Downloaded 236 times)

[Updated on: Fri, 31 January 2014 14:45]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: [FEATURE REQUEST] Adding "Advanced" commands to the TheIDE's editor's context menu
Next Topic: BUG: "Close();" does not!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:16:25 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01923 seconds