Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Is there a lawyer in the house?
Is there a lawyer in the house? [message #40703] Thu, 05 September 2013 12:17 Go to next message
keltor is currently offline  keltor
Hello everyone,

I am depending more and more on U++ for all new code that I write. It is a serious time saver and thus I am considering the transition to using U++ for my work-related projects.

Since some of this future work may end up in commercial projects, I am wondering about the legal implications. Namely, the licenses of the code. I am aware that most, if not all, of the code is BSD or BSD-compatible, so in principle one can use it in commercial products without much hassle. However, I would like to be sure of the requirements.

Here's what I understand so far:

· Code written as plugins (e.g. png, jpeg) should be acknowledged in the About box, much like TheIde does in its own About box.

· U++ itself ("the core", so to speak) does not have any such requirements, and it's up to the user to decide whether to acknowledge its use at her own discretion. Something that I will do, of course.

· "Contributed" code, that is, improvements written by the users of U++ and usually found in the Bazaar, are also governed by the same license as U++. Are there any exceptions to this?

· "External" packages, that has been adapted to U++ but comes from other projects that are independent of U++, such as UnitTest++ or OCE, have their own licenses that, in general, may ask to fulfill certain requirements like add a copyright notice, but that are also BSD-compatible. Are there any specific packages with more restrictive rules?

Anything to add / any blatant mistakes?

Kel
Re: Is there a lawyer in the house? [message #40705 is a reply to message #40703] Fri, 06 September 2013 12:59 Go to previous message
keltor is currently offline  keltor
Let's dialogue with myself, now that I have read further the documentation.

According to the readmes in the plugins directory, it seems that it is not necessary to include any explicit acknowledgement in the About box itself, so long as one acknowledges it elsewhere in the program or the accompanying documentation.
Previous Topic: Portable U++ installation
Next Topic: should ultimate++ support dynamically linked libraries?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:36:57 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00934 seconds