Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » Some information about the SDL20 (GL) rainbow backend
Some information about the SDL20 (GL) rainbow backend [message #41098] Thu, 31 October 2013 09:53 Go to next message
Sgifan is currently offline  Sgifan
Hi

could we get some hints about the status and goals of the SDL20GL backend ?

There is a SDL20 backend and a SDL20GL backend, I suspect the SDL20 to be obsolete.

I would like to know if we will have a chance to see some alpha compositing possible with this backend. and even animated windows/transitions...

What is the goal exactly ? Android support ? or maybe it is the start of a modernisation of the whole GUI stack.

Re: Some information about the SDL20 (GL) rainbow backend [message #41101 is a reply to message #41098] Thu, 31 October 2013 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Quote:

There is a SDL20 backend and a SDL20GL backend, I suspect the SDL20 to be obsolete.

Correct.

Quote:

I would like to know if we will have a chance to see some alpha compositing possible with this backend. and even animated windows/transitions...

Well, obviously, things like this would be only possible for the "whole screen" mode, otherwise host platform windows managare is responsible for them.

Quote:

What is the goal exactly ? Android support ? or maybe it is the start of a modernisation of the whole GUI stack.

Well, SDL looks like nice common library for quite a lot platforms. Therefore it appears to make sense to try to create SDL based backend.

Android support was sort of initial trigger. However, it now appears that SDL is feature complete as foundation of full GUI framework. So perhaps even MacOSX support could use it. (The exception is generic clipboard handling and/or drag&drop, but that either can be added to SDL or be supported by custom code or perhaps it is not all that important to start with..)

The current status is that it works fine in "single window" (or "fullscreen") mode where we play the role if windows manager. I am now starting to implement variant "multi-window" mode.

As about 'modernisation', I believe that CtrlLib/Draw combo is quite feature complete as requiring quite minimum from graphics engine. OTOH, SDL backend would allow us to seamlessly integrate OpenGL in Paint, which would be nice too.

Mirek

[Updated on: Thu, 31 October 2013 14:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Some information about the SDL20 (GL) rainbow backend [message #41105 is a reply to message #41101] Thu, 31 October 2013 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sgifan is currently offline  Sgifan
By 'modernisation' in fact I just actually meant a GUI more adapted to android devices, because I dont see much use of the U++ current GUI on them

Re: Some information about the SDL20 (GL) rainbow backend [message #41111 is a reply to message #41105] Thu, 31 October 2013 19:31 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Sgifan wrote on Thu, 31 October 2013 11:06

By 'modernisation' in fact I just actually meant a GUI more adapted to android devices, because I dont see much use of the U++ current GUI on them

Well, that is a question. Obviously, mouse/keyboard oriented widgets are of little use, OTOH most useful concepts (e.g. Value, Convert, Display, Draw) are still valid in touch oriented GUI...
Previous Topic: theide image designer now has "text" tool
Next Topic: SDL20GL TopWindow handling
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:39:46 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01416 seconds