FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Question about SVN tags
Question about SVN tags [message #42084] Tue, 18 February 2014 08:36 Go to next message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi Mirek,

I have noticed every now and then you put a new ".tag 201x-yy" in the SVN. Can you explain the your policy for creating these tags?

Best regards,

Tom
Re: Question about SVN tags [message #42088 is a reply to message #42084] Tue, 18 February 2014 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
Tom1 wrote on Tue, 18 February 2014 02:36

Hi Mirek,

I have noticed every now and then you put a new ".tag 201x-yy" in the SVN. Can you explain the your policy for creating these tags?

Best regards,

Tom

Well, what I do there is perhaps not that nice (I mean, doing this on public svn), however in my job we have regular (well, mostly) 14 days release cycles, so these are tags to back those releases.

Good thing about these is that they are supposed to be stable, at least the stuff required for server backends. So in rare circumstances that a serious bug is found in such tag, fix is backported and tag updated/replaced (OK, that is not how tags are supposed to work, but whatever Wink

Mirek
Re: Question about SVN tags [message #42099 is a reply to message #42088] Wed, 19 February 2014 08:27 Go to previous message
Tom1
Senior Contributor
Hi,

Whatever the purpose of tags is supposed to be, I think using them for marking stable SVN versions is a very nice thing to do!

In fact, I was kind of hoping there was an idea like 'stable point in development' behind those tags.

Thanks for the info!

Tom
Previous Topic: How's it going?
Next Topic: Optimizing svo_memeq -- just for curiosity
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:43:02 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01162 seconds