Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ MT-multithreading and servers » How to use Skylark on external server
How to use Skylark on external server [message #42984] Mon, 21 April 2014 20:48 Go to next message
forlano is currently offline  forlano
Senior Contributor
Hello,

The thread title make evident my confusion about the topic. Embarassed
I tried Skylark for first time and it works although not how I hoped.

I am used to PHP scripts. I put them in some folder of a server (not mine) and call them by http request. I've done even some complex program with PHP+MYSQL.
It seems Skylark is quite different. It is itself a server (if I have understood) and not just an executable that wake up and performs some action Rolling Eyes . How to use it?
Do I need to save the executable in some directory? I suspect I need specific privilege on my ISP server.

I am very sorry if my questions looks silly Smile

Luigi

[Updated on: Mon, 21 April 2014 20:49]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to use Skylark on external server [message #42985 is a reply to message #42984] Mon, 21 April 2014 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
forlano wrote on Mon, 21 April 2014 18:48
Hello,

The thread title make evident my confusion about the topic. Embarassed
I tried Skylark for first time and it works although not how I hoped.

I am used to PHP scripts. I put them in some folder of a server (not mine) and call them by http request. I've done even some complex program with PHP+MYSQL.
It seems Skylark is quite different. It is itself a server (if I have understood) and not just an executable that wake up and performs some action Rolling Eyes . How to use it?
Do I need to save the executable in some directory? I suspect I need specific privilege on my ISP server.

I am very sorry if my questions looks silly Smile

Luigi

Well, basically it can act as server - but in that case you would be limited only to Skylark or would have to use non-standard port.

I guess that the most common way how to use Skylark is to start it on some internal special port, make your application an init.d daemon and configure apache to communicate with it using SCGI or HTPP proxy (Skylark automatically detects the connection type, so no need to configure it for one or another).

When HTTP request comes, apache will match the directory of skylark app and then redirects request there, gets response and returns to browser...

Mirek
Re: How to use Skylark on external server [message #42986 is a reply to message #42984] Mon, 21 April 2014 21:23 Go to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Luigi,

Also note that most webhosting providers will not let you run your own executable on their servers... Even in the scripting languages like PHP they often prohibit the use of functions that can run other processes because of security concerns.

Skylark is easiest to run from your own servers or VPS. Basically, you need to have full access and permissions to install your own applications to be able to fully use it.

Best regards,
Honza
Previous Topic: [SOLVED] TcpSocket Connect error
Next Topic: HttpRequest File Upload
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 10:48:11 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02786 seconds