Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Port of U++ core to windows library publishing (Just to discuss it)
Port of U++ core to windows library publishing [message #43265] Wed, 18 June 2014 20:55 Go to next message
hans is currently offline  hans
Hi,
I have developed over the years a port of the U++ core as windows only library.
The name of the library is UPPW.

Rationale is I have only develop for windows and have a thin class library for GUI too which I also want to publish. And NTL is fun!

Now I think to make the port public.

The port consists of only the U++ core (without TCP/HTTP...) with some changes in the String and Stream classes. No IDE, no GUI, nothing else.

Pros would be U++ would be known on larger audience, and more people with multi-platform demands would know about it. Fixes for bugs found in the port could flow back to U++.

What do others, especially the active U++ developers, think?
Re: Port of U++ core to windows library publishing [message #43279 is a reply to message #43265] Sun, 22 June 2014 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
hans wrote on Wed, 18 June 2014 20:55
Hi,
I have developed over the years a port of the U++ core as windows only library.
The name of the library is UPPW.

Rationale is I have only develop for windows and have a thin class library for GUI too which I also want to publish. And NTL is fun!

Now I think to make the port public.

The port consists of only the U++ core (without TCP/HTTP...) with some changes in the String and Stream classes. No IDE, no GUI, nothing else.

Pros would be U++ would be known on larger audience, and more people with multi-platform demands would know about it. Fixes for bugs found in the port could flow back to U++.

What do others, especially the active U++ developers, think?

Well, spending most of my professional time developing in U++/Win32, I might be a bit curious what is advantage of Win32 U++ Core over Multiplatform U++ Core... Smile

But I believe that the point is to ditch theide and just use Visual Studio, am I correct?

As such, it is a good effort. I would perhaps suggest to think about making the "export" of normal U++ Core to UPPW somewhat automatic, perhaps add some #ifdefs into Core so that trunk sources can be used.

Thin GUI library is also sounds interesting.

Mirek
Re: Port of U++ core to windows library publishing [message #43280 is a reply to message #43279] Sun, 22 June 2014 17:33 Go to previous message
hans is currently offline  hans
Hi Mirek,
you are right im using Visual Studio as IDE.

But main reason was getting an "almost complete" class library for Visual Studio Express, where I have no MFC.

The other reason while I greatly honor the effort of making GUI portable, it is for me better to use the GUI of the OS (not to draw the GUI myself) as I'm not programming for Linux.

So not too much hope for the GUI lib, it is basically a WTL-like thin wrapper library on the Win32 system.

For your suggestion to auto-sync with U++, I'm thinking about.

But first I would see how much users it will get. Think I'll publish on CodeProject. But as you can imagine writing good article will take time too.

Hans
Previous Topic: No nightly builds on Ubuntu PPA since May 5th
Next Topic: Raspberry pi / Arduino like Intel based Board from Microsoft Windows
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:04:40 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01210 seconds