Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Banana PI
Banana PI [message #44020] Mon, 15 December 2014 13:38 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I have decided it is time to have means to test U++ with ARM. In the end, Raspberry PI is perhaps too slow, so instead I have decided to get

http://www.bananapi.org/p/product.html

This thing has 2 CortexA7 cores at 1Ghz and 1GB RAM, plus 1G ethernet.

I have installed bananian (basically, Debian Wheezy) and after getting MATE desktop to work (it is quite usable), I simply downloaded U++ nightly, used its 'debian' script (worked without problem), then fired make. I had 2 issues: there was wrong __arm macro used in Core/Config.h (has to be __arm__ - already commited) and then I had some weird linker issue, which could be worked around. Then make gone through and create ./theide, which, to my surprise, immediately worked.

Overall, whole thing feels like slower version of my normal Linux desktop (while being absolutely silent and consuming about 2W of energy).

I plan to setup this 'station' for automated testing (to complement x86 tests).

Mirek
Re: Banana PI [message #44025 is a reply to message #44020] Mon, 15 December 2014 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Funny facts: It takes 30 minutes to compile TheIDE in debug mode and 138 for release mode... Smile
Re: Banana PI [message #44026 is a reply to message #44020] Mon, 15 December 2014 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
Hello Mirek,

I have already run Upp on a Gumstix Overo board with LCD touchscreen. It worked fine, I only had a few modifications to make.
The modifications are mainly aimed at good MT management : I had problems with it, I posted the info here : http://www.ultimatepp.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=7165 &goto=38443&#msg_38443

The files modified are the following (diff today's svn version : 7977 )
  • Core/Mt.cpp
  • Core/Mt.h
  • CtrlCore/CtrlCore.upp this modificaqtion works on my home Fedora linux as well, but was needed by the linux angstrom

I joined the modified files
  • Attachment: ArmModif.gz
    (Size: 8.34KB, Downloaded 248 times)
Re: Banana PI [message #44028 is a reply to message #44026] Tue, 16 December 2014 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koldo is currently offline  koldo
Senior Veteran
Very nice tests. It would be curious to see in how many different devices U++ is working Smile

Best regards
IƱaki
Re: Banana PI [message #44034 is a reply to message #44028] Tue, 16 December 2014 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
koldo wrote on Tue, 16 December 2014 08:06
Very nice tests. It would be curious to see in how many different devices U++ is working Smile

There are little reasons why it should NOT work, as long as target is capable of running X11.

At this moment, the only untested feature is big-endian mode. But those platform are increasingly difficult to find...
Re: Banana PI [message #44036 is a reply to message #44034] Tue, 16 December 2014 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
I have an A20-OLinuXino-MICRO-4GB board with a 10 inch touchscreen that I baught a few month ago which is waiting for Upp usage.
Re: Banana PI [message #44037 is a reply to message #44034] Wed, 17 December 2014 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mindtraveller is currently offline  Mindtraveller
Experienced Contributor

Actually U++ supports framebuffer-based rasterization and it is certainly one of biggest advantages among competitors (like qt). That is why, in my opinion, we must have framebuffer infrastructure working well. U++ is lightweight and effective which is the second big advantage on ARM and MIPS CPUs.
So we really have an opportunity to make U++ one of widespread frameworks for embedded systems.
My experience with U++ on slow systems shows it's fully capable and robust. With its lightness, effective basic structures and standalone GUI, U++ is worth being leading embedded framework.
Re: Banana PI [message #44276 is a reply to message #44020] Tue, 17 February 2015 18:53 Go to previous message
Alboni is currently offline  Alboni
Experienced Member
There is a quadcore raspberry pi now:
http://www.cnet.com/news/raspberry-pi-2-model-b-is-a-quad-co re-upgrade-on-sale-today/

And a compatible Chinese alternative that is 50% faster: (but also just $35)
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code =G141578608433
(they also have an 8 core version with 2gb ram, but that one costs a lot more)

[Updated on: Tue, 17 February 2015 18:55]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: How would you design a good copy/move semantics system?
Next Topic: Free IT related books - Packt Publishing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:04:06 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01521 seconds