FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » Precompiled headers
Precompiled headers [message #44184] Sun, 18 January 2015 11:49 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I have just finished my take on precompiled headers support in U++. Big thanks to Shire for giving me hints how to do that... (and sorry that my approach in the end is different) Here is docs excerpt:

Precompiled headers is a compiler technique trying to solve the very same problem as BLITZ. In general, we have found BLITZ faster than any precompiled header use, however BLITZ tends to have one disadvantage: by combining all files into single object file, linker has less oportunity to remove unused code. This leads to (sometimes significantly) larger executable binaries. For this reason, we do not recommend (and have off by default) BLITZ for release builds and if possible, we use precompiled headers for release builds.

Precompiled headers have a set of its own problems. Notably, Microsoft C++ precompiled headers are hard to use with multiple processes building the code (Hydra) in debug mode. Also, precompiled headers in general are very bulky files, easily surpasing 100MB, which is a problem as we need to have single precompiled header per package.

For these reasons precompiled headers support works like this:

* Precompiled headers are activated only in release mode without blitz.
* You have to set "Precompile header" flag on header files candidates for precompilation. Only single candidate per package is allowed. Note that not all headers can be with this system. Header has to have include guards and it must be possible for all files in the package to include it first before all other headers.
* Build method has to have "Allow precompiled headers" set.
* When package is build, it first checks whether using precompiled header is possible (as per rules above). Then it checks how many files are to be rebuild. If there are 3 or more files to build, U++ precompiles the header and uses it to build the package. When the package is built, U++ deletes the header to conserve the space.

U++ supports precompiled headers for MSC, GCC and CLANG. However, practical benchmarks show that with CLANG using precompiled headers actually leads to worse compilation times.

------------

Additional note: They work, they reduce the time of release builds (except CLANG), but results are not spectactular. E.g. IDE gets build in 3:07 with GCC (in Linux) without PCH, which is reduced to 2:19 with precompiled headers.... (meanwhile, debug mode BLITZ requires just 47 seconds, 29 with CLANG).
Re: Precompiled headers [message #44209 is a reply to message #44184] Mon, 26 January 2015 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Hmmm, interesting.

Adding PCH support for an existing project is very fiddly. I guess the fact that CPP files were including the main package header helped a lot in the transition.

I have very positive experience with PCH. I don't care about full release mode build time, but iterative development time is helped a lot by PCH. On the other hand, if you modify a header, you can go grab something to eat...
Re: Precompiled headers [message #44235 is a reply to message #44184] Tue, 03 February 2015 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chickenk is currently offline  chickenk
Experienced Member
mirek wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 11:49
by combining all files into single object file, linker has less oportunity to remove unused code. This leads to (sometimes significantly) larger executable binaries. For this reason, we do not recommend (and have off by default) BLITZ for release builds and if possible, we use precompiled headers for release builds.

At least for GCC, your experiments would lead me to use BLITZ for release builds, with the following options:
-ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -Wl,--gc-sections

Best of BLITZ, with much more unused code removed!

Anyway thanks for working on PCH.
Re: Precompiled headers [message #44236 is a reply to message #44235] Wed, 04 February 2015 08:33 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
chickenk wrote on Tue, 03 February 2015 20:47
mirek wrote on Sun, 18 January 2015 11:49
by combining all files into single object file, linker has less oportunity to remove unused code. This leads to (sometimes significantly) larger executable binaries. For this reason, we do not recommend (and have off by default) BLITZ for release builds and if possible, we use precompiled headers for release builds.

At least for GCC, your experiments would lead me to use BLITZ for release builds, with the following options:
-ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -Wl,--gc-sections

Best of BLITZ, with much more unused code removed!

Anyway thanks for working on PCH.

Well, at the time I was testing these options, it did not make noticeable impact on code size (in short, they did not appeared to work). BTW, note that these options are part of standard installation.

You can check: build release (e.g. theide) with BLITZ and these options, then build without BLITZ, report the size...
Previous Topic: LineEdit/CodeEditor heavily optimized for huge files
Next Topic: AttrText improvements
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 06:53:18 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02058 seconds