Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Win32 install: going .msi  () 1 Vote
Win32 install: going .msi [message #44412] Sat, 07 March 2015 19:04 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I came to conclusion that producing .exe Win32 installer was adequate in 2006, but no more good today.

So, for the next release I think we will need .msi (and perhaps straight .7z archive - it looks like like alternative option nowadays).

Initial quick investigation revealed that for .msi, currently the best option is WiX. Anybody has experience with this or some suggestions?

Mirek
Re: Win32 install: going .msi [message #44425 is a reply to message #44412] Tue, 10 March 2015 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chickenk is currently offline  chickenk
Experienced Member
Yes! I tried WiX some years ago and I was quite happy with the toolchain. It helps describing an installation in a formal manner and in a declarative way. At that time, I created some bash scripts using xmlstarlet utility to generate the xml, and the harvest tool to gather the source files, in an attempt to create a WiX-based installer for the EFL (the libraries from the Enlightenment project).

So I'd say, definitely go for it! And Upp XML manipulation libraries will be a great help to generate the declarative installation xml files.

Lionel
Re: Win32 install: going .msi [message #44426 is a reply to message #44412] Tue, 10 March 2015 19:45 Go to previous message
chickenk is currently offline  chickenk
Experienced Member
Here is an example script I made for another project, it's in ruby but you should get the point...
  • Attachment: shoes_wix.rb
    (Size: 3.42KB, Downloaded 235 times)
Previous Topic: Bazaar package quality parameter
Next Topic: Interesting: with GTK backend, strtod does not work (correctly)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 17:10:34 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01739 seconds