Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Looking for new names in new callbacks schema
Looking for new names in new callbacks schema [message #45985] Tue, 09 February 2016 09:05 Go to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
I am now sort of refactoring Core to fully 'embrace' C++11. One of things that I decided needs update is Callbacks.

Current (U++2015) version supports lambdas fine, but as sort of 'external' addition. It is not quite effective, lambdas are stored through std::function indirectly, so invoking requires unnecessary pointer dereferencing.

While I plan to use a little bit more of std:: things, I came to conclusion that we need our std::function equivalent because

- std::function is not Moveable (but should be)
- std::function throws exception if it is empty and function is invoked, while more reasonable behaviour is NOP
- our version provides "combination" operator<< that combines several callables into one

Right now, I call this Upp::Function, but I do not quite like the name. I am considering Upp::Fn, Upp::Functor, Upp::Callable, Upp::Delegate ...

Next thing... Even if we have Upp::Function, we still need derived Callback and Gate. The fundamental reason for that is overloading resolution, std::function/Upp::function need to have "catch all" constructor to convert lambdas (which are always of "unknown" type), so using Function directly make impossible to e.g. have Ctrl::operator<<=.

Meanwhile, with C++11 template parameter packs (template varargs), it is relatively possible to avoid most of current callback/callback1/callback2... mess and define single class instead of Callback...Callback5. Unfortunately, this class cannot be just "Callback", because in parameterless form, it still needs an empty list of paramaters ("Callback<>") so it would be backward incompatible. (And yes, we still need to provide all those Callback[N] and callback[n] things for backward compatibility too).

So, so far I have named those new classes CallbackN and GateN, but I do not like these names either...

Any suggestions about how to name those new entities?

Mirek
Re: Looking for new names in new callbacks schema [message #45986 is a reply to message #45985] Tue, 09 February 2016 12:07 Go to previous message
Didier is currently offline  Didier
Contributor
Well from my point of view, it's better to use names that represent what it is and since callback is already used, ....

* Upp::Fn:........too general, may lead to misunderstanding and confusion
* Upp::Functor:...already widely used in SW articles and books ==> my choice
* Upp::Callable:..defines more a property rather than what it is (sounds like a trait)
* Upp::Delegate:..too far from what it is intended to be used for

[Updated on: Tue, 09 February 2016 12:09]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Parallel sort
Next Topic: Moving on with supporting old things...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 08:22:46 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05969 seconds