Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » How to implement IPC for TheIDE? (I would like to open file from my system in new tabs instead of new window)
icon5.gif  How to implement IPC for TheIDE? [message #46920] Wed, 14 September 2016 22:11 Go to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello,

Currently I have several associated file with TheIDE. It means if I click on it in my file explorer it opens TheIDE. The problem here is that evry time it opens new window. I would like to avoid such situation by attaching new file to current TheIDE instance. One of the idea is to make IPC between to process.

For example I have one TheIDE on PID 500. Next TheIDE opens with PID 501. The second instance check whenever the other instance exists. If true sends message to first one with open file message. If it is done the the second instance close immediately without opening GUI.

What would be the best way to implement such mechanism? Sockets - I would be glad if somebody give me idea how to do that.

Sincerely and thanks,
Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 September 2016 22:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to implement IPC for TheIDE? [message #46922 is a reply to message #46920] Thu, 15 September 2016 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zbych is currently offline  Zbych
Things that come to my mind:
1. named pipes
2. clipboard - it sounds stupid, but might be the easiest way.
3. send message to the other process (WM_COPYDATA, WM_USER?) - but it is platform dependent.

[Updated on: Thu, 15 September 2016 21:00]

Re: How to implement IPC for TheIDE? [message #46925 is a reply to message #46922] Sat, 17 September 2016 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
omari is currently offline  omari
Experienced Member
Hi,
In bazaar, there is a package called "Uniq", with it you can test ig another instance exists, and use existing one if any.
Give it a try.

regards
omari.

[Updated on: Sat, 17 September 2016 00:15]

Re: How to implement IPC for TheIDE? [message #46927 is a reply to message #46925] Sun, 18 September 2016 22:21 Go to previous message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello Omari,

Thanks for the tip. Named pipes used in Uniq is probably what I am looking for. But, I would like to see Mireks opinion about this topic before I start implement anything.

Sincerely,
Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.
Previous Topic: Cannot open include file 'corecrt.h'
Next Topic: BUG: debugger fails to start
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:34:59 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01891 seconds