Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Newbie corner » C++11 issue under Linux (Error occuring after upgrade)
C++11 issue under Linux [message #48036] Fri, 12 May 2017 10:21 Go to next message
jibe is currently offline  jibe
Experienced Member
Hi,

Sorry for this newbie question, but I think that a clear doc about upgrading is either missing or too difficult to find...

I was using U++ 9732 on Linux Mint Maya (derived from Ubuntu Precise), and I just upgraded to Mint Serena (based on Ubuntu Xenial) with U++ 10804. And now, I always get an error :
This version of U++ REQUIREDS C++11

(the typo is in the message).

I get this error even with the "AddressBook" example !

I find a lot of things about that, even old unsolved bugs and posts saying that adding -std=c++11 is not working, but nothing saying clearly what to do to solve that, so I'm a lot confused to know what to do... And very surprised that with a fresh install the examples are impossible to compile !

This is probably only a little bug in the config or a little thing that I did wrong, but how to solve it ?

[Edit] : I see that I have GCC4.8.bm only, but I have not gcc-4.8 installed. Instead, I have gcc-5 and gcc-6. I tried to copy it to GCC5.bm and GCC6.bm, changing inside the compiler name, but this seems to have no effect.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 May 2017 10:49]

Report message to a moderator

C++11 issue under Linux [message #48037 is a reply to message #48036] Fri, 12 May 2017 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
I got it work, but not totally...

I first uninstall theide and upp and removed all files in the /home/user folder, changed the PPA to the nightly builds and then re-installed. I was then able to compile successfully the AddressBook.

I notice that I have now only GCC.bm.

Then, I re-installed my folders ~/upp, ~/MyApps and ~/.upp coming from my old Linux (and U++ 9732), keeping the new ~/.upp/theide forlder and tried to compile one of my application, but I got again the same error about C++11. Trying with the AddressBook, I got also the error...

Obviously, something coming from my old install is bad, but what ? How could this affect the examples ?
Re: C++11 issue under Linux [message #48038 is a reply to message #48037] Fri, 12 May 2017 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello,

Please make sure you have following flags enable in your build method ("Common C++ options"):
-std=c++11

This should fix the requirement of the C++11. If this will not work just compare your build method to that delivered with upp.

Sincerely,
Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.
icon14.gif  Re: C++11 issue under Linux [message #48039 is a reply to message #48036] Fri, 12 May 2017 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Thanks for your reply Smile

Yes, it was that! But I have still 3 questions :

1) Where is the best place to put it ? In "Common options" or in "Common C++ options", knowing that I'll have to compile some old apps in pure C, not C++, and that they didn't compile with the new version (but I am no more sure about the kind of error I got)
  • During my first try (with the "normal" PPA, not the nightly), I tried to put it in "Common options" and it did not work
  • After I re-installed the nightly builds, it was set in "Common options" and working
  • After I installed my applications, keeping ~/.upp/theide/, it desappeared (and I didn't verified, I just saw after reading your post)

2) Where is it kept ? Or, in other words, why did it desappeared when I copied my apps (~/MyApps and ~/upp folders) ?

3) Is there a good doc about migrating from one version to another or from one distrib to another ?

[Updated on: Fri, 12 May 2017 15:19]

Re: C++11 issue under Linux [message #48044 is a reply to message #48039] Fri, 12 May 2017 21:44 Go to previous message
Klugier is currently offline  Klugier
Senior Contributor
Hello,

1) "Common C++ options" is used to compile all files that belongs to c++ space like .cpp .cxx etc. Common options is mainly used by all files - for example i used it to put all warning related flags "-Wall -Wextra" in GCC front-end. OK - I see that there is no documentation about "Build methods" layout - I think this is the documentation site with the high priority. I will create one when I found free time.

I am not the ppa user - so it would be good if the experts in this area will give you the answer.

2) The build methods are kept under the following directory (POSIX environment) "/home/klugier/.upp/theide/". Please notice that you could import build method by only with "bm" extension in "Setup -> Build Methods..". If you want to import bundled build method (it is recommended when you update theide manually) just change the extension and import. This is the trick but it is nice to know that.

3) Well, the migration process is not so hard as many can thing it is. First of all you need to understand the new features of Core. So go to the "Tutorials" and select "Core". Read about all new facilities and migrate - your code will gain on that operation.

About migrating to the new upp platforms. There is not tutorials - however you could look at updated documentation site. When i write new feature into TheIDE i likely to write documentation. We will need to do that for our new "Macro Manger" with Omari Smile

If you want to help or you have some attentions to the documentation. Fell free to post articles - we will be glad Smile

____________________________________________________________ _________
I found that there is nice article on the site with updated screen shots Wink. There you can spotted http://www.ultimatepp.org/app$ide$GettingStarted$en-us.html build method layout.

Sincerely,
Klugier

U++ - one framework to rule them all.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 May 2017 21:49]

Previous Topic: How does one determine the byte order of the RGBA struct?
Next Topic: install UPP on a new laptop with Win 10
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 16:41:25 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01685 seconds