Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Other Features Wishlist and/or Bugs » Feature Request TheIDE: Refactoring / crossreference / include nesting visualization graph
Feature Request TheIDE: Refactoring / crossreference / include nesting visualization graph [message #35441] Wed, 15 February 2012 03:43 Go to previous message
jonzun is currently offline  jonzun
Promising Member
Hello everybody!

I'm new here, and know about TheIDE just 2 days, so forgive me if i request something whis is already solved or rejected.

I am very impressed of the Ultimate++ / TheIDE thing.
There are so many fabulous things realized in it, i was always dreaming about. Its compact and clean. A piece of art Smile

In the last 5 years I worked primarily with Visual Studio 2005 and the last year a bit with Eclipse CDT. In Visual Studio I learned to love the Visual Assist X plugin (http://www.wholetomato.com)

But what I always missed in most of the other IDEs editors (and so even TheIDE) are the following things:

---------------------------------------
1. Source code refactoring support:
Example: I rename a class member by selecting it with the mouse and select rename in a popupmenu. The IDE then replaces in all files of the project just those symbols which are real member references inside the source. Lets say all the methodes of the class accessing that member, but not similar named symbols of some other class. I mean really namespace/scope aware.

Visual Assist X (and i think CDT too) then gives you a dialog with a tree list (like your OptionTree control) showing you a preview of what its going to do to all the files. There you can manually correct and modify what will be renamed to your personal likings.

2. Symbol crossreference:

What everybody has is goto definition/declaration. But what really is helpful while analyzing some complex / messy code is to find all references of a SYMBOL (methode, define macro etc , of course namespace/scope aware). You can traverse the source in a tree like fashion, like you would surf the net with a web broswer. Back and forth.
Searching for all referencing locations gives a result list in the console area. There you can pick where to jump to. At the destination you can repeat this with another symbol. Then Another result list is generated and stacked on the previous one. Pressing a back button moves you back to the previous place and also to the previous result list.

CDT and Visual Assist X offer this to some degree and i need it a lot.

3. #include file nesting visualization graph:

Sometimes (usually always Smile) you get not-so-nice source code to change or maintain. Usually this code as ridiculous #include nestings you simply cannot cleanup in a reasonable time without a graphical view of dependencies. The only 2 tools i knew and liked for that was Sniff+ and Sourcenav. Both out of fashion and out of reach for me.
I miss this a lot.

So i want to ask you, what do you think about adding this features to TheIDE ?

PS: If you don't throw rocks at me after this, ill come up with even more stuff Smile

kind regards

jz

af571fa42a55726edd4647727f2f6f08

[Updated on: Wed, 15 February 2012 03:50]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: F12 Behavior
Next Topic: Debugger feature request
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 08:24:22 CEST 2024