Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Choosing the best way to go full UNICODE
Re: Choosing the best way to go full UNICODE [message #48167 is a reply to message #48166] Tue, 30 May 2017 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
I meant code point.

Get is the code point.

And what I claimed is that having code point = code unit only half-way solves the problem and you get the least favorite and advantageous encoding in DString/Utf32.

The index of Utf code-point can be easily solved with a string walker that can work for any encoding, from utf8 to 32 and there is no need to tie yourself down with DString supremacy.

Because once you reach "full" Unicode support with DString, you know that most of the non-opaque string code in U++ will use the DString implementation and everything will be biased towards 32 bit.

I prefer 1-3 string classes with an 8 bit bias and the same amount of "String walker" classes and once one implements this, I believe in practice the amount of switching from one encoding to another gets minimized.

I my library I only have String, with plans to add WString someday, and the complexity of Utf8 has never made me wish for DString. Conversion to Utf16 only happens in WinAPI context anyway. Plus on the web, Utf8 is the standard. You will probably find that across the globe, on average, Utf8 is still the smaller method of storage. And in CJK context, Utf16 makes a lot of sense, even with occasional surrogate pairs. Historic/academic CJK is where Utf32 shines, but still, in such contexts, Utf is not the most popular.

Anyway, I would go with the same approach I went so many years ago.

Conversion from Utf8 to Ucs2 must be upgraded to Unicode 9.0 compliant Utf8 to Utf16. Utf8 1-4 code units must be converted to a single code point. Correct escaping and error recovery must be implemented. The Unicode standard give you exact deterministic outcomes for any illformated sequences, and combined with the EE you already have in U++, you can get non-destructive error handling. This will leave you with the ability to read and write Unicode. The rest of U++ won't be helped by this, but it is still an important step and will solve a few problems.

Then, one by one, I would convert pieces of code over to a standardized traversal mechanic, be it a string walker class or something else you come up with.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Some addition proposals
Next Topic: Help needed with link errors (serversocket)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 04:40:28 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03256 seconds