Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » The end (?) of ubuntu packages
The end (?) of ubuntu packages [message #49369] Wed, 31 January 2018 20:27 Go to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi everyone!

I have some possibly sad news for you...

Short version: I will no longer publish the ubuntu packages on launchpad and PKGBUILDs on AUR.

Long version:

Almost exactly 8 years ago, I started maintaining the ubuntu packages on launchpad. The packages were definitely not the best, sometimes there were some outages and sometimes even bugs. But I hope they helped to make life easier for some of you.

A lot happened in my life in those past 8 years: I finished school, got a job, switched from Ubuntu to ArchLinux, started family, ... And as the time went, I had less and less time to spend with my various side projects, sadly including U++. Last two or three years, the launchpad repository only worked out of inertia. When it even worked - sometimes the script broke and it took a couple of months before someone (usually Zbych, thanks!) made me aware of the problem.

Last week, I had to replace the hardware that was running the script which created the packages. I thought for quite some time, if I should migrate it to the new machine, but in the end I have decided it doesn't. I believe that I could be easily replaced and that whoever steps in can do just as good job as I did (and probably even better).

I have also maintained AUR packages for ArchLinux users. They were probably not much used, because I haven't updated them in 6 months and nobody complained. So I will abandon those as well.

If anyone is willing to replace me in this unofficial "job" of U++ packager, I'll be more than happy to share all that I can remember about how those scripts in uppbox/lpbuild2 work. Just contact me via PM.

So long and thanks for all the fish...

Honza

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon14.gif