FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » gentle criticism of source organization
gentle criticism of source organization [message #4684] Sun, 20 August 2006 17:14 Go to previous message
jadeite is currently offline  jadeite
Hi Folks,

U++ 605

Please don't take this the wrong way, I am not trying to criticize in a negative way.

A couple of things I have found that make U++ hard to learn, is the organization of source in uppsrc and folder/file/class names. For example, when I look in uppsrc, I see a subset of folders named:

Core
CppBase
CtrlCore
CtrlLib
Draw
TCore
TCtrlLib
TDraw

Now, it is not clear what the difference is between Core and CppBase. If I want to look at the painting of a control, such as a button, would I look in CtrlCore, CtrlLib, TCtrlLib, Draw, or TDraw? What about event architecture? Is that something likely to be in Core?

When I look in TCore folder, I see dd_cpp.h and dd_h.h. These appear to be something related to a database, but it is not clear what it is for or why the name dd_cpp and dd_h were chosen.

The online documentation does help with some of this. It might be nice to have a section describing the source organization, to help the user decide where to look for various features.

Regarding Button, I look in CtrlLib and find Button.cpp, which has the implementation for class Pusher and class Button. So, I go to find the declaration of these classes in a header, and alas, there is not a Button.h file. I finally make my way to PushCtrl.h and find class Pusher and class Button (along with other 'push-related' classes. This is all confusing. Perhaps a comment is in order in some .cpp files to clarify what .h files the various classes are declared in.

Cheers.

[Updated on: Sun, 20 August 2006 17:18]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Interesting observation - wxWidgets vs U++ .exe size
Next Topic: about Macro
Goto Forum: