Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » PR, media coverage, articles and documentation » Bit of bussines and money....
Bit of bussines and money.... [message #6201] Thu, 02 November 2006 15:13 Go to previous message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
OK, I am afraid this topic might offend many...

Anyway, I believe that in the long term, U++ needs some cash flow to grow.

Ideally, it would be nice to have some commercial backing for the library, and maybe we will get there at some point in the future.

In any case, in all of my plans, U++ library is free BSD licensed open software, usable even for closed-source commercial applications without any fee.

So where the little cash might come from? I plan to implement following features soon:

- some limited website advertising, most likely google adsense. I will try hard to keep it decent and not too much disturbing.

- PayPal donations. Inspired by www.winscp.net, you will be even able to get something in return - we will be listing all donors in TheIDE main help page (again in some decent way), with added features based on donation size - so it will be a kind of advertising too (big donation -> big font, www link and perhaps some additional info) (it is good that topic++ is now compressing files Wink

Now rather exotic idea:

- sponsorship banner on TheIDE splash-screen and about box. Actually, there already was such banner in 511 release. The sponsorship would be granted based on eBay auction.

Distant future plans, not very high level of probability:

* U++ consulting

* U++ Pro boxed version with enterprise tools (but in no case the free version would be made less useful for average users - this would be rather about Fedora/RHEL model..)

[Updated on: Thu, 02 November 2006 15:13]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message