FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » External resources » MingW/GCC 4.1
Re: MingW/GCC 4.1 [message #6735 is a reply to message #6325] Sat, 25 November 2006 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Werner is currently offline  Werner
Experienced Member
I've stopped to further investigate gcc4.

The problems to be solved are to big (for me). Having available under Windows MSC8 and MinGW342 makes it appear disproportionate to strive to get gcc4 to work.

Even following Scott Meyers' article "Building gcc 4 for Windows 2000" (http://www.aristeia.com/Misc/gcc4ForWindows_frames.html) confronted me with a lot of problems:

Scott Meyers' suggestion to set the path is wrong (refer to Matthias' message #6703). But for some unknown reason even Matthias' correction didn't work for me. So I had to stick to Marcelo Slomp's original suggestion to set the path under Windows. This seems to work. But it might even be possible that the problems as detailed below were caused by that approach.

"tar jxf ..." didn't work for me. I could get round this problem by first using "bzip2 -d ..." and afterwards "tar xf ..." but nevertheless that seems to indicate a lurking problem.

Although I finally managed to build gcc4, this process produced a lot of minor (?) error messages and warnings. I'm lacking ages of gcc and Unix experience as well as the time and the patience to handle all that. But it would have to be done because ...

... the link process (of "TheIDE") fails. Obviously the linker is missing "crtbegin.o" and "crtend.o". Although the respective .asm files are in the gcc4 distribution the .o files don't show up after building gcc4. Copying them from older releases doesn't work.

If a Unix / gcc / minGW nerd would be willing to help, I'd give it another try - which probably would turn into quite a tedious chore.

Werner

[Updated on: Sat, 25 November 2006 13:51]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message