Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » Look and Chameleon Technology » Native Icon Themeing
Re: Native Icon Themeing [message #10763 is a reply to message #10756] Fri, 27 July 2007 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Zardos is currently offline  Zardos
Hi James,

I like the new look of the fileselector!

But for my personal apps I would always use the host / native file selctor. Only if I need some special functionality I would try to build my own file selector.

I guess this depends on the audience who you are targeting. If your app is for a wide range of users out there in the wild, wild internet I think it is best to come as close as possible to common "standards". Everything which behaves or looks different may rejected easily by a user.

You see this with many succesfull apps for example at downloads.com. Usually these apps can be installed painlessly. The look and feel is nice and follows the common standard. Well "skinning" may seen as a "standard" too for some kind of apps.

And even a different look of a file selctor may cost some users...

Things are more relaxed for apps written for individual companys or a limitid audience. Many apps I have seen which costs millions of dollars for one license are often hard to install and well sometimes look like ... not so good ...

For The Ide I consider a different looking file selctor not as a big problem. The internals far outweight some rough corners.

I guess this in not only true for windows.
Many GNOME and KDE users react very alergic for GUIs which looks like XP...

Anyway, I prefer the new file selctor.

- Ralf

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Chameleon-ized EditField
Next Topic: QT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 09:51:29 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02022 seconds