Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Releasing U++ » U++ 2008.1 rpm automatic reconstruction for the rpm maintainer
Re: U++ 2008.1 rpm [message #17471 is a reply to message #17464] Sat, 16 August 2008 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
amrein is currently offline  amrein
Experienced Member
(PATCH IS AT THE END OF THIS MESSAGE)

luzr wrote on Sat, 16 August 2008 09:32

Good...

Are you willing to extend the team and become rpm maintainer?

Why not. But I just have a few issues with U++ and I would like to be sure they will be addressed before giving long contribution to the team (more time than already given to show my interest to this project). I'm talking about the web site, the licence, the doc, the source directory structure, the "static link only" with no official dynamic library and finally the Linux port status.

Quote:

Well, as you might have guessed, the final near-term goal is to setup nightly automated builds.

Which makes me wonder how well nightly builds will work together with virtualbox. Any idea? (IMO, the problem is that we need to invoke script in virtual machine).

When the virtual machine is installed then shutdown, the virtual disk is still there and keep all modifications.
"VBoxManage" is a command line tool. You can manage the Virtual box with it or with the graphical front end "VirtualBox".

If you call one of your VM "Mandriva Linux", you can start it like this:

# VBoxManage startvm "Mandriva Linux"

VBoxManage will load and run the VM.

You can share files using NFS, samba, ssh, ...

To be short, with a VM, it's like having another PC running another OS. Running "VBoxManage", it's like switching it on.
So, you just need to do on this "new PC" is what you would like it do do. Something like creating the rpm build environment first than get the daily tarball or create the daily tarball after a "svn up" command, then rebuild the rpm. There are faster solution of course but more complicated to keep the distro up to date.
(urpmi doesn't won't work here in a chrooted environment since 2008.0 for an unknow reason).

Quote:

Would it be eventually possible to do this using chroot instead?

Mirek

Yes of course. You know about chroot? Than you can do something a bit faster. Most rpm distributor use it.

All distributions doesn't use the same libraries version nor the same compiler version. You can't just install debian packages + rpm to deal with the rpm. So you will have to install a rpm based distro (on a VM or another partition of your hard drive), then copy this new root partition and U++ source into a local directory. Before chrooting into it, "mount proc" then "chroot ." then compile U++. Don't forget output redirection of stdout and stderr to know if something had going wrong, ...

[Updated on: Sun, 17 August 2008 21:44]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 2008.1 debs
Next Topic: Does the provided upp.spec works for you and on which distro?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 21:26:44 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01739 seconds