Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Java coffee...
Re: Java coffee... [message #18231 is a reply to message #18216] Thu, 18 September 2008 09:43 Go to previous message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I did some small projects (most of them for school or for fun) in java in my past. The language itself is quite similar to C++, although there are major differences. GC, no pointers, and everything-is-object and maybe some more. So you may sometimes end with a tad different design of program structure, if you compare java with C++ version.

Then there's the API... the basic java libs are what they are, once you learn to use them, you can use them, it may be quite different to clib, but would you start with Java and not C++, you would probably have bitter taste from trying clib then.

Then comes enterprise level. XML, Struts, Swing and all those other fancy buzzwords. The total amount of API calls available is *huge* for my mind, and I can't work with this effectively. I think it's aimed at memory-strong programmers who can't do 6 lines of code doing some actual *stuff* (at least not without including some major bug there), but they don't have any problem to call 150 API calls out of head and form some application of them, once their analyst put some basic structure ahead of them.
You need then just couple of strong architects of system to lay down the basic infrastructure and code the couple of modules which do something new, and hire tens of those API programmers, and let them finish the stuff (usually twice or more faster than would you keep those 1-2 analysts doing it all). So all these huge API and modules IMHO allow enterprises to split the work meaningfully to get at least that twice+ better development times (for mere price of 10x more people developing it). And that's very good scalability from business point of view. Because you can't add those analytic programmers at project and expect the development time going down, after certain threshold adding more programmers will either not improve development time or bring it down. In this aspect I do suspect those buzzword technologies really work. Although I often can't understand how and I'm always very suspicious about them and their usage.

Anyway, if you want good job in big corporation, going Java+struts+other enterprise level technologies is a right way, and you will have very good chance to find a good job with such knowledge. (With U++ you will hardly find any job, it's more suitable to be the vendor of SW solution itself and sell final applications done with U++, as there are basically zero corporations using U++ for development right now. Java... is different story Wink, and .NET did spread even faster.. go figure.)

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: U++ Everywhere
Next Topic: UBUNTU 8.04 - /init: /init: 1: cannot open /dev/root: No such device or address
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 13:45:07 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02880 seconds