Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Extra libraries, Code snippets, applications etc. » U++ users applications in progress and useful code snippets, including reference examples! » Collaborative U++ Projects
Re: Collaborative U++ Projects [message #18273 is a reply to message #18271] Fri, 19 September 2008 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Well, actually I would love to try something if I had time. It is more like a research project.

It would be something like RPython, i.e. a subset of a dynamic language that is strictly compilable/runnable under the host language, yet it is compilable to machine code. Proponents claim that you still get most of the productivity boost that such languages are said to offer, yet you get a performance boost between 20 and 200 times.

I would follow these steps:
1. Grab the sources and factor out any ugly stuff if present.
2. Rewrite it using U++ types.
3. Retarget it to llvm.
4. Do the actual productivity case study, probably by making the compiler host itself.

I'm also sure we would also get a bonus compilation time improvement between 5 and 10 times at least without any extra work, when compared to C.

Too bad that I don't have time Smile.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Windows Systray examples needed
Next Topic: Trouble iterrating over VectorMap<String, String> - general StoreIniFile
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 03:16:17 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01839 seconds