FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » M$
Re: MT [message #20492 is a reply to message #20490] Fri, 20 March 2009 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
andrei_natanael is currently offline  andrei_natanael
Experienced Member
sergeynikitin wrote on Fri, 20 March 2009 16:07

For smaller packages such as the automation of certain types of business - I can set my own standards. And I do not like Microsoft. Evil or Very Mad

I don't want to start a flame war, but I like Microsoft(even if I'm a Linux user Razz ) what I dislike is their policy and their monopoly. Just think how many programmers and other kinds of people have a job there. Not everyone "is made" to sustain a noble cause like open-source and free software nor "made" to be a freelancer. Having a stable job which give you a constant revenue is sometime more important than not working for someone because you dislike it's "face". The means are excused by purpose (sometimes).
Now, even if I'm a Linux user I dislike Linux sometimes very much Rolling Eyes. Why? Because its spread in thousands distributions and 90%(maybe more) of current distros doesn't come with innovations but copy what was invented by others and give to that a new name. I consider that as weakness of Linux. Because it's not unified it pay a big price. I had friends which wanted to use Linux but were stopped by the enormous number of distros available, which one to choose? One is buggy than other... That's the fate of Linux... It's divided and easily conquered.

About the release cycle... I consider that releasing a distro twice in one year is too much. Why not upgrade just the kernel, "vital" components and software I usually use, why do I need an upgraded OS after six months? Six months release is good for software (large software) but not for distros. How many improvements made Ubuntu team in core of the Ubuntu distro to deserve a new release (here improvements mean only the pieces which differs from other distros not kernel and drivers updates, ext4 support (etc.) which anyway almost every distro will include until the half or the end of this year). Major changes require a new release but if we change just the theme and make some minor improvements here and there that doesn't deserve it. BTW, I have Ubuntu 8.10 which is almost as future Jaunty 9.04, same themes, wallpapers, kernel, Office, IM client, I may upgrade my Gnome desktop to latest if I want... only thing really missing is ext4 support (I think I can live without it until next release...9.10, I don't know when I will have files larger than 2 TiB which ext3 actually support).

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Crazy(?) idea about debugging
Next Topic: (Commercial) Upp consulting?!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 01:56:47 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02087 seconds