FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » M$
Re: MT [message #20496 is a reply to message #20495] Fri, 20 March 2009 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Well I try to not label everything. Things like "evil" are being tossed around much too often, even when not necessary and targeted toward people who are trying to make an honest living. I'm sure that both you and me would be considered evil by a lot of people because not only do we create closed source programs (I hope I didn't misunderstand you and you are actually doing opensource), but we are using free tools to make money of the back of the poor altruistic developers who made that code available for us. Also, I try to avoid calling some stuff evil because to me, here is the top 3 most evil software components:
1. autotools & friends, which have singlehandedly transformed building software into a nightmare. I'm sorry, but if I need over 500K+ of shell scripts + 5 different tools installed on my system, each with their own syntax, to build hello world, and I'm waiting 2 minutes to ./configure to finish the first time, there isn't any better candidate for the privileged position of getting all my hate. I know that these tools are trying to fix a build system that is not cross platform, but at what price?
2. C
3. C++
There is a certain level of hypocrisy to call these things evil because I spend so much time with them.

Also Microsoft did nothing to deserve my disrespect (except some stuff int the tabloids that hasn't proven yet and Vista and Me Smile ) They created IMO the best OS. I always have a practical attitude toward such things, and Windows is currently the only OS capable of being both a desktop and a development environment. While Linux makes a great server powerhouse, even today I can find motherboards with network cards which are not recognized by Linux. At work, we had to buy new cards for every single computer.

As for MSC, my installation is about 250MB and it does not interfere with my work. Since I started using TheIDE, I no longer install VS and that huge text monster MSDN both occupying probably over 7GB. All I need is free SDK, TheIDE and Mingw + eclipse for std or any other library integration work. But even if I don't use it any longer, VS is still light years ahead with some features compared to TheIDE. Great part is that I don't miss those features.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Crazy(?) idea about debugging
Next Topic: (Commercial) Upp consulting?!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 06:28:56 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05231 seconds