Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: CodeEditor, Assist++, Topic++ » Navigator Bar Search results
Re: Navigator Bar Search results [message #21350 is a reply to message #21270] Thu, 14 May 2009 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
piotr5 is currently offline  piotr5
Experienced Member
thanks, looks much better now!

luzr wrote on Mon, 11 May 2009 13:10

I guess I go spoiled by my new widescreen Smile

Maybe we can reduce the number of buttons?
In any case, I can easily remove asteriks button (search all) - that can be done by deactivating rest of buttons.

and I didn't take into account that for others it might look different. I should have sent a screenshot. now I will just describe it since it isn't that urgent as previously: the buttons are obviously quadratic, and their size seems to depend on the font-size. when the font-size is much bigger than the icons within the buttons then it looks bad. so I propose that they shouldn't be quadratic and instead have a fixed horizontal size (width) which is large enough to contain the icons and some margin around them.the height can still stay the same though. for me now it is an icon of size less than half of the button-size, so there is a big margin around them. when the navigator-bar is already narrow, then the extra waste for that marging is a curse.

as for the buttons not affecting search, you are right that they work correctly, except that they don't work for globals! when I search for StrInt again then nothing gets displayed when pressing one of those buttons! I would have expected to get the filename displayed when I search in the current file (in addition to the classes) so that I can browse and search all functions of the current file. the same with nest and package.

as for my idea, my feature-request, I really didn't try to get back the old appearence. I just noticed that sometimes when the names for class-methods and -members are chosen in a way to provide some sort of abstract interface, then I would really like to search among all classes which fulfill that particular interface. I'm now not certain anymore if an additional button is really such a good idea, but fact is that if I need such a feature of searching for the appearence of multiple words, then I need that feature only for searching 2 words (i.e. 2 members which happen to be in the same class or a class with a certain name and a certain member, or maybe even a certain file-pattern containing a certain class/member). since the display is split vertically with class-names on the top and members below them, it is quite intuitive that a 2nd search would only affect everything written in the upper list. however, this feature-request isn't really that important, it's a rarely needed feature. so I guess if it would have to get implemented, then in a quite subtle way like for example a certain key-combination or some sort of hidden menu (like right-click menu) and such. also an idea for an entry to such a hidden menu would be to show there any wildcards or whatever supporting the search. so to summerize, now I imagine a right-click menu on the search-box which does offer inserting whatever wildcard supported there (for example * and ? or even regexp) and which further allows for performing a search within all the classes and files displayed in the upper list (i.e. the upper list will only lose entries while the lower list will show only the stuff from the 2nd search). maybe some colour-change of the text-field could indicate that this is the 2nd search...

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message