Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Compiling, Linking, Debugging of your packages » Can't link the project if package contains no any cpp/c files
Re: Can't link the project if package contains no any cpp/c files [message #22851 is a reply to message #22445] Sat, 22 August 2009 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gridem is currently offline  gridem
koldo wrote on Thu, 16 July 2009 01:12

Hello Grigory

One of the good things of Eigen is that its syntax is rather familiar to an Upp programmer without need of almost any wrapper.

However I thought to wait to propose it into Bazaar because I wanted to use it and from the experience to see how to integrate it a little better with Upp as Eigen is designed to be used from C++ standard library.

Other thing I wanted to do before is to prepare a sample:
- simple
- as familiar as possible to an Upp programmer
- but showing the power of Eigen doing something useful (image processing, 3D transforms, ...)
- and comparing Eigen speed with other perhaps more evident algorithms but much less efficient

What do you think?

Hello, Koldo. Sorry for delaying the answer.

Yes, the Eigen library utilizes a functionality from STL. But this is not so big problem: STL is mature and is a part of C++ standard. I think that the only thing to be changed is working with streams: STL streams should be changed to U++ streams. This patch will be rather small and on new Eigen releases it may be adapted with minimal efforts.

The comparison of speed with other frameworks is shown in http://eigen.tuxfamily.org/index.php?title=Benchmark . As you can see Eigen demonstrates very good speed in various tests. Also I perform my own test with eigen values (it was my primary goal) and conclude that special packages like Mathematica have smarter algorithms and performs speedy on a large data then Eigen (on matrices more than 700x700). But such functionality (with eigen values/vectors) is under develop and I think during the time it will be better.

Also Eigen library contains a set of examples but they just show the various usage scenarios but not the power of doing something useful. This is not so obvious task IMHO.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Commandline builds (linux)
Next Topic: Cross compiling windows applications from linux with mingw32
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 16:45:10 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02229 seconds