FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Clang vs. GCC
Clang vs. GCC [message #24994] Sat, 06 February 2010 23:10 Go to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I couldn't find any category where it would fit. I installed fresh svn version of Clang (C++ frontend for LLVM) inspired by a news that it finally can build itself. I was playing with it a bit and of course I tried to compile some U++ code.

I'm not going to talk about the compilation problems, but about interesting error that popped out. In topt.h there is this template:
template <class T>
inline void DestroyArray(T *t, const T *lim) {
	while(t < lim) {
		t->T::~T();
		t++;
	}
}
Clang complained about using this template with T=unsigned int, since "type 'unsigned int' cannot be used prior to '::' because it has no members". After this I was curious about how GCC solves this problem. Well, the answer is simple: GCC ignores it. Smile

This template is being called with T equal to types like int, const char*, void* without any problems. When I stepped through this part of code in debugger, the destructor line was simply skipped, the loop run through the given range of pointers doing nothing usefull.

My knowledge of C++ is quite limited, so I have few questions: How is that possible? Is it a GCC, Clang or U++ bug? Or is it just me, missing some deep knowledge about inlined functions, templates or some other dark corner of C++?

I hope someone can enlighten me a bit... I really like Clangs verbosity an it would be great if U++ supported it once (But rewriting half of the Core is just too high price Smile ).

Best regards,
Honza

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message