Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » Has MeeGo better potential than Android for U++?
Re: Has MeeGo better potential than Android for U++? [message #30849 is a reply to message #30843] Tue, 25 January 2011 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I still shrug at the idea of Java VM used for everything in embedded device. I know pure java with JIT can be quite close to compiled C/C++, but quite close can be IMO notable difference on embedded machines. Even if they already have RAM in hundreds of MBs.

Then there's the sun=>Oracle vs Google issue.

And finally Android is supposedly open, yet if you buy such device, you may have difficult time to simply recompile the ROM and upload your own (depends on manufacturer). And kernel of Android is based upon linux kernel, but last time I read something about it, it was total fork leaving in different direction, so they will have hard to catch up to latest developments in vanilla linux. (although I think there was some talking about to push patches back to upstream and be more in sync?)

So somehow I don't believe into Android. (although never truly tampered with one, so this is just old man babbling Smile )

Anyway, on the paper the MeeGo looks much more promising to me. But let's see first what are the actual devices and actual policy for custom recompiled firmware images and how vanilla they remain over time.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Leaving for one week to do some skiing
Next Topic: A MeeGo alternative: Samsung Linux Platform
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 02:31:01 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03189 seconds