FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » Assist for include files
Re: Assist for include files [message #31043 is a reply to message #31016] Wed, 02 February 2011 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Raxvan
raxvan wrote on Tue, 01 February 2011 11:06

I'm working to add to the ide a new feature similar to visual studio 2010. When the user types include and the the key < or " the window will PopUp having all the appropriate files in it.

I use as a reference the assist used to displaying function names.
So far so good, but i'm having some issues.

Good idea, although I have to warn you that it might not be as easy as it seems. I did attempt something similar once (showing annotation in the editor), but failed. AssistEditor code is quite a jungle Smile

1. Apparently i can't figure out why normal assist will close when pressing Escape and my assist will not. Also i can't find any code related to that. I could just add a statement to take care of that but i don't know what other side effects this might have.
The assist is handled at many different places, e.g. in AssistEditor::LeftDown() it is closed when you click in the editor. I guess (don't see the code right now) that closing on esc might be handled similarly. Anyway, I think it might be easy to actually extend current Assist behavior to do this than write a new one...

2. What would be the best approach: having the files scanned when the assist will open? or to scan the files in advance (when the package is loaded) and just fill the assist with already existent data.
Depends on what exactly you want to show. If you restrict to files from packages in current project (which would be just fine IMHO), you can process this information very fast because it is already stored within theide. If you wan't to scan for files on disk than some clever pre-reading might be needed. Or you can cheat and suggest user some fixed set of standard system headers + the files in packages Wink

3. What is the Key code for '"'? because i can't figure it this out with the debugger.
It's \x22 (or 34 in decimal) or you can just write '\"'. Neat trick: In theide press Ctrl+E to show calculator, type '"' and press enter Wink

4. Are there any hidden issues i have to address?
Nothing I am aware of right now, as long as it behaves like regular assist, it should be fine. In case you will be searching for files on disk, you should make sure it is very fast - slow dialogs are annoying for users Wink

Also if you want to take part in theide development, you should probably ask Mirek for a Redmine account and create a feature issue in the issue tracker we just recently started to use Wink

Best regards,
Honza

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message