FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » C++11
Re: C++11 [message #38131 is a reply to message #38123] Sun, 02 December 2012 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Lance is currently offline  Lance
Contributor
I think eventually U++ should get rid of pick_ and make use of rvalue reference instead. rvalue reference solves the same problem pick_ saught to solve and is standard compliant, and behaves more consistent across compilers: I believe pick_ is #define'd to different things on MSVC from on g++, and to avoid conflicts, U++ has to introduce a dummy parameter for deep copy semantics.

Last time when I mentioned this, Mirek said something like pick_ had more degree of automation; for the same purpose rvalue reference might involve more coding. But the benefit of switching might overwhelm the cost. C++ programmers turning to U++ will appreciate the effort saved for learning pick_ and will find the code easier to understand. U++ programmers don't have to speak a special dialect when there is no compelling reason for that.

The only problem IMHO is the resources needed to implement the switch. It's bound to take a lot of time and break a lot of user codes, unless somebody can write a parser to automate the process.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message