Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » U++ Callbacks and Timers » Kill callbacks when parent is destructed
Re: Kill callbacks when parent is destructed [message #43574 is a reply to message #43573] Thu, 04 September 2014 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
crydev is currently offline  crydev
Experienced Member
mirek wrote on Tue, 02 September 2014 18:44
crydev wrote on Tue, 02 September 2014 18:04
Hello,

I have a question about callbacks. I'm using a TopWindow that creates asynchronous callbacks. When the TopWindow is closed, it may be possible that one of the callbacks are still being executed. I changed the declaration to PTEBACK2 instead of THISBACK2, which seemed to help for most cases. However, I still experience problems. Now I know that you cannot just terminate an execution path. I could build in the necessary synchronization. However, when I saw the PTEBACK alternative, I was thinking: Does U++ provide a method to prevent crashing when execution PTEBACK's when its parent TopWindow is closed a.k.a. destroyed? Is there a simpler solution I can build in to suppress the situation?

Thanks,

crydev

Not sure I understand all detail properly, but when it is possible that parent TopWindow is destroyed _while_ _executing_ Callback, then you have violated multithreading rules (whole GUI is shared resource, only one thread is allowed to run GUI and some operations like opening/closing windows are allowed only for the main thread).

Thanks for your reply Mirek,

The callbacks I am executing run on seperate threads, using Thread().Run(...). This way, I can close the window without affecting the running threads. I am not operating on the user interface from other threads. I assume that scheduled PostCallback's are automatically removed when the TopWindow is closed, so one of my threads should be causing the problem.

Thanks

crydev

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Feature request
Next Topic: Event.execute
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 16:06:11 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02784 seconds