Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Packages » Understanding packages, assemblies, and nests
Re: Understanding packages, assemblies, and nests [message #44448 is a reply to message #44446] Fri, 13 March 2015 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
eldiener is currently offline  eldiener
Promising Member
dolik.rce wrote on Fri, 13 March 2015 01:28
eldiener wrote on Fri, 13 March 2015 05:24
I read the doc on packages, assemblies, and nests but I don't understand the difference between an assembly and a nest. Both are explained in terms of being a collection of packages, but I could not make out how they are related to packages in a different manner.

Hi eldiener,

Nest and assemblies are two levels of the same thing. Nest is a collection of somehow related packages (e.g. MyApps are my personal packages, bazaar are comunity contributed packages etc.) and is represented on hard drive as a single directory. Assembly is actually a collection of nests. That allows you to simply organize the packages in flexible way, without having multiple copies of the same package or all the packages mixed together.

You can use this for example to test newer versions of U++: Just configure two assemblies, one with nests MyApps + uppsrc-stable (pointing to some older stable version, that you already tested) and second with MyApps + uppsrc-fresh (pointing to latest sources, which you'd like to upgrade to). Now you can build the same package from MyApps with two different U++ versions in parallel, simply by opening it from differen assembly.

TheIDE might have some rough edges, but IMHO the package management is actually one of it's strongest points Wink

Best regards,
Honza

When I open the IDE its "Select main package" lists assemblies and for each assembly there is a list of packages. But from your explanation above, where a nest is a collection of packages and an assembly is a collection of nests, I would expect that selecting a main package would involve selecting an assembly, which would list its nests, and then each nest would list its packages. This is what confuses me.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message