Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ TheIDE » U++ TheIDE: Packages » Understanding packages, assemblies, and nests
Re: Understanding packages, assemblies, and nests [message #44480 is a reply to message #44479] Sun, 15 March 2015 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
eldiener is currently offline  eldiener
Promising Member
mirek wrote on Sun, 15 March 2015 12:21
Quote:

I still do not understand the difference between a main package and a non-main package as far as Ultimate++ is concerned. Why divide your idea of a package into these two distinct categories ? In other words what does a main package consist of that a non-main package does not have and why is this important to either the IDE or to a person using Ultimate++ to create executables or libraries to be run cross-platform ?

Well, in fact, the main reason is that when starting theide, you have to choose the project what you want to work with. There is a lot of packages, but at the moment of starting theide, usually only those with main configuration are those you eventually choose from (because they represent applications you are developing). That is all the magic and reason. Other than that, main and non-main are essentially the same.

Quote:

Also I think I do understand assemblies/nests as merely grouping mechanisms in the IDE in order to specify a package or a particular build of a package in a particular category ( assembly ). If they exist as anything else please tell me.

Sure. You have to specify where package directories are, right?

Mirek

OK. I get it as far as main packages and non-main packages. Actually a project for me is usually the development of libraries and not applications. I assume that Ultimate++ components can be incorporated in a library as well as in an application.

Thanks for your help ! I only wish your documentation on packages, assemblies, and nests had explained these basics as well as you have done here in this thread. If I have further questions about using the IDE I will start a new thread.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message