Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » Coffee corner » What next?
Re: What next? [message #45670 is a reply to message #45666] Sun, 20 December 2015 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
Mindtraveller wrote on Sun, 20 December 2015 11:21
One more thing we should possibly do is to analyze user's opinions on U++.

1. Search Internet for articles/reviews on U++. Then we make, say, google document on all these reviews containing links found.
2. Extract PROs and CONs from actual reviews we gathered.
3. Analyze CONs and PROs and make forum thread on possible ways to remove CONs and tell about PROs to more users.

And one more thing: the links on articles written should also be collected per user and in one place (say, google doc). So that we see some statistics.

I tried to do "1." few months back, and I didn't found anything really interesting. I think there were like 1-3 blog-like short reviews. Maybe I didn't dig hard enough into search results, but I think it's more like the whole framework is almost invisible to the world (as it happens with SW Smile ... like PHP Nette framework, top quality stuff, yet hardly used outside of CZ).

But if I ever saw some PROs, it usually followed my own list: lean and small codebase (and small download), download was easy to install and compile first example (now even easier with "portable" release).

After that CONs show usually fast: the learning curve kicks in (obviously, it's C++, even my own old source looks alien to me Very Happy ), "mandatory" usage of TheIde, and while U++ is sort of condensed and delivering a lot over small space - it's not as wide as f.e. Qt, lacking thing here and there.

I'm now probably too long here to asses the *real* impact of those things. For me personally the biggest annoyance is debugger (and I rather learned to not need it most of the time), and to include 3rd party libraries in TheIde at source level (I maintain one project with Tesseract OCR lib, included as sources... takes me some 1-2h to update the files and project, as it's not simple "compile everything what's on disc"), and missing refactoring tools (none). Overall I'm quite happy with U++, unfortunately most of the work time I have to develop in other languages and IDEs (android studio :/ ).

Anyway, I think we should try to get some stories from newcomers, they will be probably quite different, and maybe unexpectedly complicated on things we don't see as any problem.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Members of structure are finally accessible through plain index
Next Topic: I've just joined the wonderful world of Linux software distribution!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 03:44:21 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03013 seconds