Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » U++ Developers corner » SFTP or full SSH2 support for U++? (Discussion about implementing the SSH2 protocol using libssh2)
Re: SFTP or full SSH2 support for U++? [message #45963 is a reply to message #45952] Mon, 01 February 2016 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Oblivion is currently offline  Oblivion
Senior Contributor
Hello Mirek,

Quote:

I was thinking that it would be a cool demonstration (and a very nice PR CodeProject article) to create actual EDITOR of text files over FTP/FTPS/SFTP in "list of files in the left" style. Not sure I will have enough time for that, but it would be fun.

Writing an FTP(S) & SFTP editor wouldn't be too difficult. We can use Any container and dynamically create both. Plus, directory enty parsers of the both classes are very similar. It would be easy to achive some abstract API when writing the editor. What worries me is that it'll end up in a somewhat complex code, and that might be bad for PR. Instead, we can write a UI skeleton and build two separate editors, one utilizing FTP(s), and the other SFTP. In this way, people can study the code(s) and the differences. While I am currently polishing SSH/SFtp package, I can start writing a basic FTPS based text editor, in the meantime.

By the way, I was going to propose writing a CodeProject article for TcpSocket (I can write it in the following weeks, bu you may need to review it first Smile ). IMO, it is a vital part of Upp/Core. Yet it is somewhat an enigma. It is well designed but poorly documented. (not talking about its API doc). I had to study HttpRequest/GuiWebCrawler to understand how to do nonblocking operations. Maybe we can clarify that.
Also I would like to propose adding two methods for TcpSocket: My experiences with sockets and remote operations showed me that sending local IP over sockets is not uncommon.
So, maybe it is possible to add a counterpart to GetPeerAddr() method: GetLocalAddr()?
And of course EWOULDBLOCK is technically an error, but in practice we don't always treat it that way.
So I believe adding a public WouldBlock() method to check if the socket would block would be helpful in writing nonblocking code. (GetError() is not very helpful when reading and studying the source code).

Regards,
Oblivion.

[Updated on: Thu, 04 February 2016 08:27]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Help needed with link errors (serversocket)
Next Topic: Ultimate++ repo and chat?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 17 01:32:37 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01549 seconds