FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Community » U++ community news and announcements » U++ 2017 beta
Re: U++ 2017 beta [message #47312 is a reply to message #47311] Wed, 04 January 2017 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
MrSarup
Hello Amrein -Marie,
amrein wrote on Wed, 04 January 2017 01:04

If you still want to remove upp-devel.spec than, well, does it really matter? If it's broken, at least rpm packagers will have something to start from. If you remove it, most people will use the standard 'make' procedure.

I must add and support you on your objection to the idea of removing the spec file. Even if Mirek populated the idea of removing the spec file, I dare say so blatantly that this idea is a garbage idea. Perhaps Mirek has not done a lot of activity on different platforms or is less informed about trouble-shooting on other platforms other than the damn Bill's platforms.

For this, I would like to share my experience during build. At the time I started to work on my Centos Server with U++, i.e. to compile it, I could not easily with make.
The dependencies you have listed in the other thread on discussion on my problem, were not sufficient. There was a binary still missing on my server. It did not get identified from the list you mentioned.
Thereafter, I used the spec file. Only then yum package manager could identify all dependencies and compiled it.
Later, you took the daunting challenge to make rpm and provide both, *src.rpm and *rpm. With either of these, I could work with umk.

Without your help, i.e. in the absence of rpms, I had to invest a lot of time and energy. This could be saved in case of all new comers.

The Linux world stopped working with a "tar ball only" approach several decades ago, when the idea of package managers got popular. It appears that this is not understood here. Let's say, will the Linux community announce the following for Centos:

yum -y install upp

No! If not, that idea is garbage!!! As simple. Period.

This is a classic example of the restrictive development process of U++ that centers around Mirek's taste, time, approaches, etc.
The reason is that he is alone, or predominantly working on this project and there are not many active developers available.

Thus, as I suggested above, an action group is necessary to share this work, instead of leaving to his shoulders.

[Updated on: Wed, 04 January 2017 07:39]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon14.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message