Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Developing U++ » Releasing U++ » Archlinux AUR (Considering adopting U++ packages)
icon5.gif  Archlinux AUR [message #47912] Sun, 23 April 2017 03:25 Go to previous message
Eremiell is currently offline  Eremiell
Promising Member
Hi!

I found U++ only recently (being many years C++ developer and tutor) and decided to give it a try. Sadly, reporting issues with AUR packages for nightly and git builds caused them to be orphaned. (No reaction from stable build yet.)

I'm now considering for longer time to start maintaining some AUR packages, as I dwell into PKGBUILDs nearly daily, so I could as well put this skill up for some good.

So my first question would be if that's OK with you?

If so, I'd like to ask about several things that could be done on U++ side, that would simplify the packaging a lot.

1) the builds as are now are using "uppbox/lpbuild2/mkfile". Could this be included into nightlies (and stables), so it doesn't have to be pulled from github, which causes potential version mismatch? Or could this probably be completely replaced by another build mechanism present? (I'm asking the later one simply because I don't know. If so, please enlighten me.)

2) could at least nightlies emit hash file(s), that could be grabbed for automatic checking? (Some sha256sums and sha512sums would be nice. Similar to say < h**ps://download-installer.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/firefox/night ly/latest-mozilla-central/firefox-55.0a1.en-US.linux-x86_64. checksums >, though a standalone file for each package and algo would be preferred.)

3) could at least nightlies emit some latest version file? Simply a text file, that contains nothing more that latest release number for quick and easy checking and also for automatic download and rebuild mechanism. (Similar to say <h**ps://www.hiawatha-webserver.org/latest>.)

4) I believe the previous two points would also help stable builds, though they are kinda far apart, so they're not that heavy to maintain.

Also the "#define DDUMP(x) @" in git is nasty, as it obviously emits errors, but they're sparse in a long build log that most people probably don't watch and while the build ends in error, the upp and umk packages still somehow "get done", only theide fails hard. But fixed that one with a simple sed. Just saying. Hope you don't plan to extend this strategy around.

Cheers,

Eremiell

P.S. Also I apparently "cannot use links until I have posted more than 1 message". Btw a dark theme and let's encrypt cert would do wonders. Wink

Read Message icon5.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Tarball issues
Next Topic: size unzipped download installation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:42:44 CET 2024