Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » Extra libraries, Code snippets, applications etc. » C++ language problems and code snippets » capturing stdout/err/in of subprocess
capturing stdout/err/in of subprocess [message #1672] Mon, 13 March 2006 14:21 Go to next message
wilho is currently offline  wilho
Promising Member
Hi!

Just got the idea (meaning I haven't yet really done any reasearch) but; how complicated it would be create terminal emulator upp-control based on SDL?

Whats best platform-independent way to spawn subprocess and capture its output and feed its input? How to render ANSI with SDL reseived from shell/cmd?

I have none of SDL and only some c++ experience, so whats I'm really after is some understandable resources and maybe comments to make a conclusion if I'm able to begin with this.
Re: capturing stdout/err/in of subprocess [message #1673 is a reply to message #1672] Mon, 13 March 2006 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
wilho wrote on Mon, 13 March 2006 08:21

Hi!

Just got the idea (meaning I haven't yet really done any reasearch) but; how complicated it would be create terminal emulator upp-control based on SDL?

Whats best platform-independent way to spawn subprocess and capture its output and feed its input? How to render ANSI with SDL reseived from shell/cmd?

I have none of SDL and only some c++ experience, so whats I'm really after is some understandable resources and maybe comments to make a conclusion if I'm able to begin with this.

Capturing output is relatively easy; feeding input is IMHO a trouble - the general problem is that current APIs do not give you a hint when user is allowed to feed that input (in other words, so far I have not found a way how to detect that slave process is waiting for the user input).

In fact, I would be glad if some such way would existed, that would allow me to improve "console mode" of executing programs in TheIDE....

Miriek
Re: capturing stdout/err/in of subprocess [message #1698 is a reply to message #1672] Tue, 14 March 2006 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gprentice is currently offline  gprentice
Experienced Member
Quote:

Capturing output is relatively easy; feeding input is IMHO a trouble - the general problem is that current APIs do not give you a hint when user is allowed to feed that input (in other words, so far I have not found a way how to detect that slave process is waiting for the user input).

In fact, I would be glad if some such way would existed, that would allow me to improve "console mode" of executing programs in TheIDE....

I'm lost. Don't you just "feed the input" when the user presses a key or sends a file - it's up to the user to know when the slave process will accept input ???

(except when the user explicitly enables XON/XOFF (software flow control) or RTS/CTS/DTR (hardware flow control))

Graeme
Re: capturing stdout/err/in of subprocess [message #1699 is a reply to message #1672] Tue, 14 March 2006 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilho is currently offline  wilho
Promising Member
I suppose that miriek foresaw my intention not to create real terminal emulator but cmd.exe -wrapper.

If I redirect streams between myprocess/cmd-subprocess, is there a flow-control-alike mechanism - meaning do my input get lost if subprocess is not able to read it immediately?
Re: capturing stdout/err/in of subprocess [message #1700 is a reply to message #1698] Tue, 14 March 2006 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Quote:

I'm lost. Don't you just "feed the input" when the user presses a key or sends a file - it's up to the user to know when the slave process will accept input ???

(except when the user explicitly enables XON/XOFF (software flow control) or RTS/CTS/DTR (hardware flow control))

Graeme

I believe that the trouble is with "echoing" user input on console: think, if keys are entered when the suprocess is running and printing the stuff, you have to echo keys entered by user, but simply placing them to the console would mix them with characters captured from subprocess stdout. Even worse, user is supposed to edit the line...

But maybe my worries are void - perhaps console should always print edited input at the end until Enter is pressed and then send it to subprocess...

Mirek
Re: capturing stdout/err/in of subprocess [message #1701 is a reply to message #1699] Tue, 14 March 2006 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
wilho wrote on Tue, 14 March 2006 20:53

I suppose that miriek foresaw my intention not to create real terminal emulator but cmd.exe -wrapper.

If I redirect streams between myprocess/cmd-subprocess, is there a flow-control-alike mechanism - meaning do my input get lost if subprocess is not able to read it immediately?

As far as I can tell, the mechanism by which characters appear in the input stream (e.g. cin or stdin) is compiler, application and OS dependent but there's usually at least a small buffer either in the OS or the application or both (see setbuf()). I do not know whether an application asks the OS for a single character at a time or a "line" at a time or whether it's an event loop style "push" operation as in Win32 GUI apps, however there's no flow control provided by C/C++ runtime or the operating system, so an application that needs to have character input suspended or slowed at any time has to provide it's own flow control.

Graeme
Re: capturing stdout/err/in of subprocess [message #1702 is a reply to message #1701] Tue, 14 March 2006 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
I guess you still do not understand my worries Smile

The problem is not with feeding characters down the subprocess stdin - that is simple. And subprocess will wait if stdin is empty.

The problem is with user interface implementation - it is terminal responsibility to echo user input. Try to start a long process in cmd.exe (or linux terminal) and try to hit some character keys while process is running - the characters will not appear until subprocess blocks waiting for input (e.g. getchar). (Of course, it can appear after it ends too).

The problem is that there is no method known to me how to detect this "child process is blocked as it is waiting for user input - time to display user input line".

Mirek
Re: capturing stdout/err/in of subprocess [message #1703 is a reply to message #1702] Tue, 14 March 2006 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
luzr wrote on Tue, 14 March 2006 22:54

I guess you still do not understand my worries Smile

The problem is not with feeding characters down the subprocess stdin - that is simple. And subprocess will wait if stdin is empty.

The problem is with user interface implementation - it is terminal responsibility to echo user input. Try to start a long process in cmd.exe (or linux terminal) and try to hit some character keys while process is running - the characters will not appear until subprocess blocks waiting for input (e.g. getchar). (Of course, it can appear after it ends too).

The problem is that there is no method known to me how to detect this "child process is blocked as it is waiting for user input - time to display user input line".

Mirek

You're right, I don't understand Smile (though I was trying to respond to Wilho). But however, I'm curious. I've only used Linux terminal a little but like many people, I use cmd.exe a lot and I'm struggling to see where cmd.exe performs the echoing of user input you refer to e.g. if I do CL /?, the "CL" application is fed keys and does its own echoing (if any) - cmd.exe doesn't do the echoing. I would have thought any echoing is done by the application itself, via stdout. Any way, not to worry. I don't know how to build an atomic bomb either ...

Graeme
Re: capturing stdout/err/in of subprocess [message #1704 is a reply to message #1703] Tue, 14 March 2006 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lundman is currently offline  lundman
Experienced Member

No idea about cmd.exe, but for Unix, if you type on the commandline and you are talking about if things echo or not is all down to tty mode, if its cooked or raw, in line mode, or char by char.

Nearest cmd equivalents seem to be SetConsoleMode(), or WaitForInputIdle().

For those spawning processes and sending/receiving IO to them which to do so portably, I can recommend my own LiON library.

http://www.lundman.net/wiki/index.php/LiON

which we are using in our U++ we have just started.

Lund
Re: capturing stdout/err/in of subprocess [message #1705 is a reply to message #1703] Tue, 14 March 2006 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
Quote:

You're right, I don't understand Smile (though I was trying to respond to Wilho). But however, I'm curious. I've only used Linux terminal a little but like many people, I use cmd.exe a lot and I'm struggling to see where cmd.exe performs the echoing of user input you refer to e.g. if I do CL /?, the "CL" application is fed keys and does its own echoing (if any) - cmd.exe doesn't do the echoing. I would have thought any echoing is done by the application itself, via stdout.

void main() { getchar(); }

Start that. The program will stop, allowing you to enter the line of input characters. Now this "enter the line of characters" is that "echoing" I am speaking about. And, AFAIK, this is not done by program, but terminal (in any case, it is terminal responsibility that if you press backspace, last character is removed from the input line).

Quote:

Any way, not to worry. I don't know how to build an atomic bomb either ...

Explaining to you always pays off... Usually it leads to solving the problem. I am not sure why, but it is almost a rule Wink

Mirek
Re: capturing stdout/err/in of subprocess [message #1716 is a reply to message #1705] Wed, 15 March 2006 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member

Quote:

void main() { getchar(); }

Start that. The program will stop, allowing you to enter the line of input characters. Now this "enter the line of characters" is that "echoing" I am speaking about. And, AFAIK, this is not done by program, but terminal (in any case, it is terminal responsibility that if you press backspace, last character is removed from the input line).

Wow, I never noticed that. (I don't write console programs much.)

I tried the following program (with Borland compiler on Win XP). If I run it, the first key that gets pressed doesn't get echoed but its numeric value does get printed, then I can press a bunch of keys that do get echoed (and backspace works just as you say) and when I finally press return, the program exits.

getch() is Borland extension (and kbhit) - I think VC has similar ones. I wonder why the first keypress doesn't get echoed. If I change getch() to getchar(), the first character and following characters (until I press return) do get echoed, after which the numeric value gets printed. Maybe getchar() hooks up to a blocking OS function that runs in "line buffer" mode and getch() doesn't run in line mode.

Graeme

#include <stdio.h>
#include <conio.h>

int main()
{
    while (1)
    {
        if (kbhit())
        {
            printf(" yes");
            int k = getch();
            printf( "%d", k);
            break;
        }
    }
    getchar();
}

Re: capturing stdout/err/in of subprocess [message #1717 is a reply to message #1716] Wed, 15 March 2006 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
I believe that getch uses different API - console api (Win32 curses equivalent).

The problem there is that getch is different from standard input.

Mirek
Re: capturing stdout/err/in of subprocess [message #1743 is a reply to message #1717] Fri, 17 March 2006 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I don't see problem with knowing if the subprocess is looking for input.

If it does, it must call "getchar()" and similar things, i.e. listen to the standart input. If you (as an console) own the standart input line, you will know when the subprocess listens to it, so you know when to echo the input.

I.e.
OS input -> your console listen to it, and fetch the input into internal buffer, which will be standart input for subprocess -> subprocess connected to input from your console.

I don't know how this should be done in C++ and Windows, but that's imho the proper model how it should be done.

The cmd.exe allows you to choose the input for the subprocess, so you can run the subprocess and feed him with input from file or from output from other process trough pipe, and the reason why it works is because it knows when the subprocess calls getchar(), so the whole file is not feeded to the subprocess right at the start, but it's sended char by char whenever subprocess asks for next one.
(actually having ability to redirect input/output is very important in unix world, as most of the standart tools are highly specialized, and to fullfill your task you need usually to chain several tools to produce the final result, like "ps | grep gcc" to see only gcc processes. So the "ps" tool does not need to contain some "filter" code, as the filter code is included in grep, etc...
Re: capturing stdout/err/in of subprocess [message #1746 is a reply to message #1743] Fri, 17 March 2006 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Fri, 17 March 2006 04:52

If you (as an console) own the standart input line, you will know when the subprocess listens to it

Well, this is the problem - HOW you will know?

There are no pipe functions I am aware of (in both Linux and Win32) that would indicate the "waiting for the stdin" (or, in fact "subprocess is blocked because of empty stdin") state.

Standard input behaves (from master process point of view) just like output file.

Then again, I might have missed something.

Mirek
Re: capturing stdout/err/in of subprocess [message #1748 is a reply to message #1746] Fri, 17 March 2006 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fudadmin is currently offline  fudadmin
Ultimate Contributor
Administrator
What if to use a socket?
Re: capturing stdout/err/in of subprocess [message #1750 is a reply to message #1748] Fri, 17 March 2006 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
fudadmin wrote on Fri, 17 March 2006 06:11

What if to use a socket?

AFAIK sockets do not have anything to do with pipes (and redirecting stdin).

Actually, I suspect that there are needed functions in Linux, just that I have missed them... For Win32, I am less sure.

Mirek
Re: capturing stdout/err/in of subprocess [message #1753 is a reply to message #1746] Fri, 17 March 2006 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member

Quote:

There are no pipe functions I am aware of (in both Linux and Win32) that would indicate the "waiting for the stdin" (or, in fact "subprocess is blocked because of empty stdin") state.

Standard input behaves (from master process point of view) just like output file.

Why do you need to know the process is waiting for input? If you send characters to stdin the OS is going to buffer them until the process asks for them. From what I can tell, if you were to try and hold off sending a character until the previous character had been processed, the application would run too slowly because of all the context switching. It seems to me it's the applications responsibility to keep up with the input if it knows there's a lot of it. Maybe you could try PeekConsoleInput if you have the stdin handle, to see if stdin is "empty" ?

Graeme
Re: capturing stdout/err/in of subprocess [message #1754 is a reply to message #1753] Fri, 17 March 2006 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
gprentice wrote on Fri, 17 March 2006 17:11

Quote:

Why do you need to know the process is waiting for input? If you send characters to stdin the OS is going to buffer them until the process asks for them. From what I can tell, if you were to try and hold off sending a character until the previous character had been processed, the application would run too slowly because of all the context switching. It seems to me it's the applications responsibility to keep up with the input if it knows there's a lot of it. Maybe you could try PeekConsoleInput if you have the stdin handle, to see if stdin is "empty" ?

Graeme

Unfortunatly, PeekConsoleInput seems to deal with existing Win32 console - not something would help us as we are here trying to implement ours...

Mirek
Re: capturing stdout/err/in of subprocess [message #1755 is a reply to message #1754] Fri, 17 March 2006 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Member
Quote:

Unfortunatly, PeekConsoleInput seems to deal with existing Win32 console - not something would help us as we are here trying to implement ours...

PeekNamedPipe then ...
Re: capturing stdout/err/in of subprocess [message #1760 is a reply to message #1755] Sat, 18 March 2006 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
lundman is currently offline  lundman
Experienced Member

I must agree I am not quite following why you need to know if your pipe-child is listening or not. You'll know if the child has gone away (EPIPE). The whole line buffering and echo is a tty/terminal feature which you can disable with ioctl(), that is quite trivial.

But if you create pipes to your child you need not worry about linemode/echo as it is direct without the tty/terminal layer.

You can check the number of bytes buffered in the pipe, set the low and high water marks, and maybe even the process flags. But why?

In LiON, to make sure to be portable, and allow for the pipe to be in select() non-blocking loops (HANDLES can't be in select(), and nonblocking polling is hard if you want to work on Win95/98/Me), I had to create read/write threads to translate between HANDLE and SOCKET.

But it works well, the same code will spawn processes on Unix, as Windows, and talk to it. I had to implement fork() and execv() for Windows though.

Previous Topic: New EH handling in MinGW
Next Topic: DLL and U++ type
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:11:57 CET 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01104 seconds