Status & Roadmap
FAQ
Authors & License
Forums
Funding Ultimate++
Search on this site
Search in forums

SourceForge.net Logo
Home » U++ Library support » Look and Chameleon Technology » upp-x11-src-1965.tar.gz and compiling under Debian Lenny
upp-x11-src-1965.tar.gz and compiling under Debian Lenny [message #24714] Thu, 28 January 2010 16:10 Go to next message
mr_ped is currently offline  mr_ped
Experienced Contributor
I tried to compile sources in fresh install of Debian Lenny (in virtualbox) with KDE 3.5, adding packages 1 by 1 until make finished successfully. (starting with "build-essentials" to have make)
After adding couple of libs it compiled ok, make install did work just as readme predicted, so it's ok.
As some newbie to [C++, compilation with make, linux] I would be maybe in quite a trouble, to recognize that I'm missing dev libraries, and to find the proper library package in Synaptics (default package manager) just from #include error message. For me it was very straightforward and easy, but maybe we should include some list of needed packages for most common distros.

I tried to compile several example/reference/uppsrc packages to see if I will hit default "all static" build method, but it didn't happen anywhere, all the time just "SHARED" (OK).

I found some minor problems with SqlCommander (wrong case in include, and linking asking for libmysql even when NOMYSQL flag is used), adding patch to fix it.

And at last, I'm attaching two open file dialogues, 1st is from U++ DbfView, other from native KWrite app.
I understand why U++ is not using native controls in such cases, but the visual difference is quite big AND the U++ dialog looks quite bad, including some little graphics glitches:

index.php?t=getfile&id=2189&private=0

vs

index.php?t=getfile&id=2190&private=0

Maybe in such case (the U++ look is far from native widgets) the U++ should instead of bad native mimicking switch to it's best theme (probably some from windows world?) and stick to it.
Re: upp-x11-src-1965.tar.gz and compiling under Debian Lenny [message #24715 is a reply to message #24714] Thu, 28 January 2010 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
Also I'm not sure where the DbfView got the idea to use Czech translation... just now I noticed it was not in English, but I don't recall setting Cz anywhere in the virtualbox during Debian install, I kept everything "US" as far as I can tell.
Must be some serious spying skills on U++ side.. Razz
Re: upp-x11-src-1965.tar.gz and compiling under Debian Lenny [message #24716 is a reply to message #24715] Thu, 28 January 2010 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbpporter is currently offline  cbpporter
Ultimate Contributor
Wow, that looks indeed quite ugly. Definitely more ugly than with NOGTK. Or is that a NOGTK build (it looks completely different and I never saw NOGTK having such visual glitches)?

Here is mine on a modern NOGTK build:
index.php?t=getfile&id=2191&private=0

The Czech is set for some reason in DbfView. We should keep examples in English.

Anyway, as I understand we are trying to get included in Debian, so I'll fire up a virtual machine.

PS: I did upgrade one time the standard FileSel so it looked almost 100% the same as the Windows counterpart. The Buttons on the left should be replaces with non Windows icons though. Never finished it. I'll try to see if I still have sources.
  • Attachment: open.png
    (Size: 43.21KB, Downloaded 774 times)

[Updated on: Thu, 28 January 2010 16:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: upp-x11-src-1965.tar.gz and compiling under Debian Lenny [message #24719 is a reply to message #24714] Thu, 28 January 2010 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
It's compiled with gtk.
Actually I would expect quite opposite, the NOGTK to look worse, but probably under KDE it's more sane to use NOGTK since start. Your pic looks quite ok, still far from latest KDE3.5 themes, not even mentioning KDE4, but decent enough to present in finished application.

Here is pic from the same executable in Gnome (instead of KDE, I do have both installed, so I can switch easily).

index.php?t=getfile&id=2193&private=0

Looks somewhat better, although some nasty cuts happened (left bottom - sort by radio buttons). Text fields looks to miss proper framing, but it's not obvious glitch, can look a bit like a desire.

Well, the whole open dialog layout in DbfView is probably not very standard, because for example TheIDE Ctrl+O does less cutting, although the non-native white background behind text fields doesn't look ok even there in KDE. In Gnome it looks ok, the framing works well and there's very little of original background remaining, so the white background fits there well.
Re: upp-x11-src-1965.tar.gz and compiling under Debian Lenny [message #24720 is a reply to message #24714] Thu, 28 January 2010 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
Oh, and I forgot to add...
When I run theide from terminal, I get lot of libpng error messages about broken images, under KDE.

Under Gnome I did try theide just for a little while, but no message appeared. May be connected to the chameleon trying to get info about Gnome theme from KDE mimicking Gnome theme.
But I can't confirm it now, I must already go.
Re: upp-x11-src-1965.tar.gz and compiling under Debian Lenny [message #24723 is a reply to message #24720] Thu, 28 January 2010 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dolik.rce is currently offline  dolik.rce
Ultimate Contributor

Hi Ped
Nice analysis!

mr_ped wrote on Thu, 28 January 2010 17:20

When I run theide from terminal, I get lot of libpng error messages about broken images, under KDE.

I can confirm this issue under XFCE and without any desktop environment (just window manager). I tried to debug theide, found the problematic code, but couldn't get it to trigger breakpoint Confused

Regards,
Honza
Re: upp-x11-src-1965.tar.gz and compiling under Debian Lenny [message #24724 is a reply to message #24720] Thu, 28 January 2010 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mirek is currently offline  mirek
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Thu, 28 January 2010 11:20

Oh, and I forgot to add...

Under Gnome I did try theide just for a little while, but no message appeared. May be connected to the chameleon trying to get info about Gnome theme from KDE mimicking Gnome theme.
But I can't confirm it now, I must already go.

That is really weird as the usage of .png is really limited - might it be gtk messages?
Re: upp-x11-src-1965.tar.gz and compiling under Debian Lenny [message #24728 is a reply to message #24714] Thu, 28 January 2010 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Thu, 28 January 2010 10:10

Maybe in such case (the U++ look is far from native widgets) the U++ should instead of bad native mimicking switch to it's best theme (probably some from windows world?) and stick to it.

Ops. That happens if you convert some real-life work tools into U++ example...
Re: upp-x11-src-1965.tar.gz and compiling under Debian Lenny [message #24729 is a reply to message #24719] Thu, 28 January 2010 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Thu, 28 January 2010 11:14

It's compiled with gtk.
Actually I would expect quite opposite, the NOGTK to look worse, but probably under KDE it's more sane to use NOGTK since start. Your pic looks quite ok, still far from latest KDE3.5 themes, not even mentioning KDE4, but decent enough to present in finished application.

Here is pic from the same executable in Gnome (instead of KDE, I do have both installed, so I can switch easily).

index.php?t=getfile&id=2193&private=0

Looks somewhat better, although some nasty cuts happened (left bottom - sort by radio buttons). Text fields looks to miss proper framing, but it's not obvious glitch, can look a bit like a desire.

Well, the whole open dialog layout in DbfView is probably not very standard, because for example TheIDE Ctrl+O does less cutting, although the non-native white background behind text fields doesn't look ok even there in KDE. In Gnome it looks ok, the framing works well and there's very little of original background remaining, so the white background fits there well.

Well, more bad by adopting work tools:

Ctrl::NoLayoutZoom();

I guess after commenting this out, it should be better.

Still, it looks like Chameleon / GTK should perhaps be more conservative. I think there obviously are some facets of appearance that are more prone to artifacts than others.

Maybe, as intermediate step, we could activate such problem-prone parts only in themes that are proven to work fine?

Mirek
Re: upp-x11-src-1965.tar.gz and compiling under Debian Lenny [message #24730 is a reply to message #24724] Thu, 28 January 2010 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
I only use NOGTK because on the systems where I install the headers are not available or needed (KDE machine). If you have Gnome installed it is pleasant to have U++ look the same as the rest of your applications.

Dependencies for NOGTK Debian 5:
build-essential
libx11-dev
libxft-dev
libpng12-dev

Dependencies for GTK:
libgtk2.0-dev
libnotify-dev

Still I couldn't link. I got a bunch of error like "undefined reference to 'png_write_row'.
EDIT: Using a normal (GTK) build I no longer have link errors. Problem is NOGTK.

I think we should provide two packages for the two modes of operation. And I also think I should create a new skin using traditional Chameleon theming to replace normal NOGTK theme. Current is similar to XP but uglier. I think that we should a theme that looks like something from 2010 and not 2000.

[Updated on: Thu, 28 January 2010 22:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: upp-x11-src-1965.tar.gz and compiling under Debian Lenny [message #24731 is a reply to message #24729] Thu, 28 January 2010 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
Mirek: did you notice the sqlite3.h -> Sqlite3.h patch?
(I hope I didn't hide it by those pics too much)
And I wonder about umk and buildallexamples. Should I try eventually patch them to work in linux? Would be neat, but I have no idea if it's possible in case of umk. (in case of build all examples it's just question of rewriting the app in worst case, but certainly doable even by me)

Quote:

Maybe, as intermediate step, we could activate such problem-prone parts only in themes that are proven to work fine?

I think yes, it's 2010 and most of the new SW comes in fancy skins breaking all rules of old standardized UI with menu bar under window title (I personally dislike this).

So I think U++ should try to look native only in the most common theme combinations, which either look very good or have very conservative users (WinXP or older).

And let's improve some custom U++ chameleon skin to look very fancy, and use that in other cases, dropping native mimicking totally in such case. I think in the long run it will give better first impression from U++ based SW.

I will try to further dig into the current source releases and ubuntu/debian to see how stable it is, eventually fix something if I will be able to. How about some big "stable" release like 2008.1, including new 4.4 mingw & stuff, i.e. full solution? As I understand, you have finished all big changes, and didn't start any new, so it's maybe good time to let us work out some of those tiny details and release something extra stable for developers who can't upgrade U++ monthly.
Re: upp-x11-src-1965.tar.gz and compiling under Debian Lenny [message #24732 is a reply to message #24729] Thu, 28 January 2010 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
luzr wrote on Thu, 28 January 2010 21:33

Well, more bad by adopting work tools:

Ctrl::NoLayoutZoom();

I guess after commenting this out, it should be better.

Indeed, without NoLayoutZoom it looks great.
Re: upp-x11-src-1965.tar.gz and compiling under Debian Lenny [message #24736 is a reply to message #24731] Fri, 29 January 2010 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
mr_ped wrote on Thu, 28 January 2010 16:07

So I think U++ should try to look native only in the most common theme combinations, which either look very good or have very conservative users (WinXP or older).

There can be levels of support. Some parts are quite simple and in fact make for 60% of impression - buttons, check boxes, radio buttons. I am quite confident we can support them everywhere.

Hard parts are e.g. scrollbars.

Extremely hard are editfields, dropdown fields (especially as U++ allows multiple buttons - had to be emulated using various heurestics), TabCtrl (btw, not even Firefox or Openoffice has TabCtrl right in GTK).

Then of course, it is a good idea to follow at least basic color scheme - "dialog face", text color, text font. But that is simple.

Mirek
Re: upp-x11-src-1965.tar.gz and compiling under Debian Lenny [message #24737 is a reply to message #24731] Fri, 29 January 2010 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member

As I understand, you have finished all big changes, and didn't start any new, so it's maybe good time to let us work out some of those tiny details and release something extra stable for developers who can't upgrade U++ monthly.

Actually, it would be quite nice if somebody would be maintaining some 'stable' release.

Current reality is that each next release is more stable than previous because of bugs fixed. To make 'stable' release really stable, we would need to branch and maintaner, carefully watching svn log and backporting critical fixes..
Re: upp-x11-src-1965.tar.gz and compiling under Debian Lenny [message #24738 is a reply to message #24731] Fri, 29 January 2010 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member

And let's improve some custom U++ chameleon skin to look very fancy.

I would rather have something neutral as default. Something that mixes well with all major target. Thankfully, designs quite converge.

No problem providing really fancy skins in 'art'.
Re: upp-x11-src-1965.tar.gz and compiling under Debian Lenny [message #24753 is a reply to message #24738] Fri, 29 January 2010 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Contributor
mr_ped, could you try a NO_GTK build?

I would like to update the build scripts.

When installing a deb everything seems OK. When building manually from sources, one would expect:
1. Everything to work
2. Behavior of installation should be comparable with other packages. I'm not saying that we should use autotools, because they are bloated beyond comprehension, but some base functionality like giving an error that lib is missing and supporting the standard --prefix and installation in /usr is a must.
Re: upp-x11-src-1965.tar.gz and compiling under Debian Lenny [message #24762 is a reply to message #24714] Fri, 29 January 2010 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
Under KDE3.5 with current SVN, firstly the GTK one, then NOGTK

index.php?t=getfile&id=2194&private=0
Re: upp-x11-src-1965.tar.gz and compiling under Debian Lenny [message #24763 is a reply to message #24714] Fri, 29 January 2010 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Experienced Contributor
And GTK under Gnome.

index.php?t=getfile&id=2195&private=0
Re: upp-x11-src-1965.tar.gz and compiling under Debian Lenny [message #24765 is a reply to message #24763] Fri, 29 January 2010 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ultimate Member
IMO, not bad. The only possible question is how GTK under KDE matches other GTK apps...

Mirek
Re: upp-x11-src-1965.tar.gz and compiling under Debian Lenny [message #24766 is a reply to message #24765] Fri, 29 January 2010 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ultimate Contributor
So you managed to get U++ to build with NOGTK? I had no success with that. Or did you only build DbfView with NOGTK?
Previous Topic: Chameleon again
Next Topic: Skinning Scrollbar thumb
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:26:32 CEST 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03894 seconds